Prev: [GZG] [SG] Rapid force projection Next: Re: Re: [GZG] [FT] PSB

Re: Re: [GZG] [FT] PSB

From: <laserlight@v...>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 08:39:36 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Re: Re: [GZG] [FT] PSB

>Chris, remember back in '98 when you reminded me of the editor of the
The Future of War series being Reginald Bretnor?

Spear of Mars, and Orion's Sword, and one other which I don't think I
ever found.

[snip]
>Unless you had some place you REALLY had to go. Attack could not occur
unless the attacker was willing to face the defender.

Yeah, that's part of the reason I asked this.  Sensor ranges are long
enough that, if there's no restriction on where you can jump from, you
should *always* be able to avoid an uneven fight. And if you're
unrestricted on jumping in, you just pick a random spot near your target
planet, jump in, salvo a massive load of missiles, and jump out again.
I'm thinking that we really need jump gates that are large enough that
you can't just build fixed installations to fortify it, but small enough
that a squadron or two can cover it.

Prev: [GZG] [SG] Rapid force projection Next: Re: Re: [GZG] [FT] PSB