Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q Next: Re: [GZG] Re: Gzg-l Digest, Vol 11, Issue 39

[GZG] telescoping time scales

From: Indy <indy.kochte@g...>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 15:17:10 -0500
Subject: [GZG] telescoping time scales

> On 3/16/06, gzg-l-request@lists.csua.berkeley.edu
> <gzg-l-request@lists.csua.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure what the answer is, but I find having 15 minute turns
that
> telescope in to 20
> > second tactical combat rounds to be a bit jarring. Maybe I'm alone
in
> that. I understand
> > the logic for it, I just find it an uncomfortable mechanic, which is
why
> I was suggesting
> > 2-3 minute turns (and maintaining the TCR). This makes the ration of
> normal turns to TCRs
> > either 1:10 or 1:15 rather than 1:75.
>
> I haven't tried the DS3 mechanics (I sold off my GW 6mm figures ages
> ago and haven't painted up the others I have), but I find the rules
> with the telescoping time scale intriguing. I suspect that younger
> players accustomed to real-time strategy games on the computer --
> where you can advance and compress time -- might have less of an issue
> with it.

There are a few (I think right now few) other game systems which use
telescoping time scales (or telescoping/logrithmic spatial-time scales).
The
one I'm familiar with is Flames of War, and while it is not an ideal
example
to use for DS3, SG2, etc, not one of the players I have encountered have
had
much problem with the changing time and space scales during combat.

Just a statistical data point on the subject.

Mk

Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q Next: Re: [GZG] Re: Gzg-l Digest, Vol 11, Issue 39