Prev: [GZG] Timescales Next: [GZG] Re: Gzg-l Digest, Vol 11, Issue 39

Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

From: John K Lerchey <lerchey@a...>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 15:02:52 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, Grant A. Ladue wrote:

>> Grant Ladue wrote:
>>
>    I wonder if it was the inability to pop smoke for our units that
dragged
>  out the firefights.	We ended up in firefight where neither side was
all that
>  likely to damage the other.	Two of my tanks were damaged, so at 1/2
move
>  they were hideously slow.  Took 5 or more rounds to get behind cover.
>  dunno.  It seems odd in retrospect.	Has there been much playtesting
>  *without* smoke capable units?

That was a part of it.	But the K'hiff players were told regularly that
they could take Cover Tests or use their Combat Move to move behind a
major terrain feature.	In almost all cases, the players (hey, it was a
game at a con, what do you expect?) chose to continue the attack
instead.
:)

Yes, we've actually played out the K'hiff attack on Strike Base Alpha a
number of times so that I wouldn't be going into the con without having
any idea of how it would play out. :)  The K'hiff never had smoke.  Most

Firefights were not as long and drawn out as they seemed to be on Sunday

morning at ECC IX.

>    Hmm, I think the grav tanks only move 3.5 inches at at time
undamaged in
>  the firefight.  Perhaps they were unusually slow in combat.	I didn't
seem
>  wrong for movement *towards* the enemy, but seemed slow for breaking
>  cover.  Perhaps when running for cover and not shooting at the enemy,
the
>  units should move faster?

Your heavy grav tanks moved at 3.5; the lights moved at 7 or 8, and the
APCs did something like 9.  *Backing* them out of combat is done at half

speed.

There is an option for "travel mode" which makes your morale and ability

to fire suck, but increases your movement by either *1.5 or *2 (don't
have
the rules open in front of me).  You *could* theortically run away in
travel mode, but I don't recommend it unless you are really *running
away*.

>   :-)  I was thinking that that may allow the Bolo/Ogre to squash each
enemy
>     unit in detail as they open fire.  Now that I think about it
though,
>     every unit can fire on the big unit at once can't they?
Definitely
>     interested in how this turns out.

Largely depends on tactical positioning and activations.   :)

Prev: [GZG] Timescales Next: [GZG] Re: Gzg-l Digest, Vol 11, Issue 39