Prev: Re: [GZG] Stuart Murray's Games at GZG ECC IX Next: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

[GZG] Timescales

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 14:46:49 -0500
Subject: [GZG] Timescales

Oerjan,

I always thought SG2 was 2-5 minutes, and I tend to favour 2, based on
movement rates. In
fighting order, even doing "Advance to Contact" (up/he-sees-me/down)
style of movement
that we were trained to use in open terrain, I could probably cover 100m
in 30-40 seconds.
That's sort of normal. So that equates to about 10" which is more than
one average combat
move of 70m. But lets say it was 70m and I was a bit slower (a third or
so). Then 140m in
two moves (one activation) would be about right, and that'd be 60-80
seconds. So that, to
me, spoke of 2 minutes. Also, I guess after Goose Green and some other
places, that style
of movement was somewhat deprecated as it was found to be *too slow* for
the fast pace of
in-contact movement in many situations. So modern forces are probably
*faster*.

5 minutes would be an eternity, and in that time you can only engage one
enemy squad?
Hmmm. As I recollect, in five minutes, even firing deliberate (one
trigger pull every 3-5
seconds), which is probably a bit unlikely in an actual fight, I'd have
expended my
personal ammo allotment (if I was unwise enough to do so) in 4-5
minutes. I'd sure hope I
could engage more than one target in that time.

Perhaps, on a smaller scale, SG2 suffers from the same problem DS2
suffers from. If you
can run 20 second firefight turns in DS3, perhaps some similar mechanic
needs introduced.
But if you think troops don't move far in SG2 turns and the game
sometimes bogs down into
hunker-down-and-shoot rather than manouver, then 20 second turns (even
with more realistic
movement rates) would surely amplify this.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but I find having 15 minute turns that
telescope in to 20
second tactical combat rounds to be a bit jarring. Maybe I'm alone in
that. I understand
the logic for it, I just find it an uncomfortable mechanic, which is why
I was suggesting
2-3 minute turns (and maintaining the TCR). This makes the ration of
normal turns to TCRs
either 1:10 or 1:15 rather than 1:75.

When actions were being conducted, things tend to happen pretty quickly.
A 5 minute turn
length in SG2 (even notionally) just seems too long. <shrug> And a 75:1
change of time
frame in DS3 just seems a bit much. YMMV.

Prev: Re: [GZG] Stuart Murray's Games at GZG ECC IX Next: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q