Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q Next: Re: [GZG] Stuart Murray's Games at GZG ECC IX

Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

From: "Grant A. Ladue" <ladue@c...>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 13:06:52 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

> Grant Ladue wrote:
>
> >I imagine that
> >I don't have the best grasp of modern combat, but is smoke really the
only
> >way that recon units break contact?
>
> There are two ways to break contact (for any unit, not just recon):
>
> 1) Kill or chase off all enemies in sight, or
>
> 2) Move out of sight of all enemies, preferrably by moving behind some

> LoS-blocking terrain feature. If there is no such terrain feature
close
> enough to let you get behind it quickly, deploy a smoke screen to buy
the
> extra seconds you need to get out of sight.
>
> For light recon units option 1) is rarely practical, so they usually
have
> to resort to option 2) instead :-/

    I wonder if it was the inability to pop smoke for our units that
dragged
  out the firefights.  We ended up in firefight where neither side was
all that
  likely to damage the other.  Two of my tanks were damaged, so at 1/2
move
  they were hideously slow.  Took 5 or more rounds to get behind cover.
  dunno.  It seems odd in retrospect.  Has there been much playtesting
  *without* smoke capable units?

> >Yeah, I think get that.  How fast are those grav tanks moving in
their
> >"big move" though? The gap they were crossing was about 6 or 7 inches
wide.
> >Some piece of me feels like they should have been able to blow across
it
> >without being forced into an extended combat.
>
> A Combat Move of 12 mu equals a speed of 135 mph (216 km/h). If the
gap is
> only 6-7 mu wide a grav tank moving that fast can easily avoid
*extended*
> combat by simply using its first Combat Move in the FireFight to move
out
> of the gap, but it can't escape *all* enemy fire - enemy units on
Overwatch
> will get one shot at it before it can move away.

    Hmm, I think the grav tanks only move 3.5 inches at at time
undamaged in
  the firefight.  Perhaps they were unusually slow in combat.  I didn't
seem
  wrong for movement *towards* the enemy, but seemed slow for breaking
  cover.  Perhaps when running for cover and not shooting at the enemy,
the
  units should move faster?

Does
> > shooting
>
> As long as all parts of the big vehicle have LoS to the enemy shooting
at
> it, yes :-/

   :-)	I was thinking that that may allow the Bolo/Ogre to squash each
enemy
     unit in detail as they open fire.	Now that I think about it
though,
     every unit can fire on the big unit at once can't they?  Definitely

     interested in how this turns out.

   grant

Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q Next: Re: [GZG] Stuart Murray's Games at GZG ECC IX