Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q Next: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

From: John K Lerchey <lerchey@a...>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 12:55:26 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

Lots of stuff is being commented out on this one, as I only have a
couple
of things to address. :)

John K. Lerchey
Assistant Director for Incident Response
Information Security Office
Carnegie Mellon University

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, Oerjan Ariander wrote:

>> 1) Vehicles are SLOW. Flat out most can't achieve 15mph.
>
> ... and the only vehicles capable of achieving 15 mph were Combat
VTOLs in
> Travel Mode and AeroSpace craft; the maximum possible speed for DS2
*ground*
> vehicles was 7.5 mph (for Grav and Fast GEV vehicles) :-/

Yeah.  I recalled them being slow, but didn't recall HOW slow. ;)

> And you did far more succinctly than I could, too :-)

Thank you.

> On OGREs:
>
> Translating the "feel" of one game faithfully into another game is
always
> difficult; it is usually much easier to capture the feel of SF novels.
IOW,
> don't work too hard on modeling *OGREs* in DS3 - concentrate on
modelling
> *BOLOs* instead ;-)

Yup.  I like the feel of the OGREs as a separate genre, but don't think
that the models map very well to Bolos.  Because of that, I'll do big,
scary cybertanks that are OGRE-esque, but the rules will not be
radically
faithful to the OGRE game.  My OGRE fighting NRA forces (Combine)
inlcude
GEVs modified into rotor-bladed VTOLs, AA tanks, and other less
OGRE-verse
stuff so that they fit better in the DS realm.

> I don't really favour increasing the Armour Die type, because it makes
the
> armour performance less predictable - D10s and D12s have higher
maximum and
> average results than D8s do, but they still roll "1"s occasionally.
The only
> real reason to increase the Armour Die type instead of the Armour
Rating is
> to make the OGRE harder to hurt with larger heavy weapons while still
> allowing Size/1 weapons to damage it...

Yup.  I'm aware of your reluctance to change the armor die.  I'm going
try a D10 anyway with the OGREs as it is my belief that the *worst* that

can happen is that don't ever roll 9,0, and aren't any better off than a

target rolling a D8. :)

> Being robotic, it should also have a Motivation Number of 0.

I have Orange 0 counters from my DSII OGRE rules. :)
Already there.

> I'm looking forward to it :-) Which reminds me that I still haven't
painted
> my own OGREttes - those Mk Is and Mk IIs might not be any good against
real
> OGREs (Mk IIIs and larger), but they're still a handful for lesser
vehicles
> <g>

I have some Is and IIs painted up, and have used them.	They tend to be
transitional unit IMHO.  Not OGRE-ish enough to act like a fully blown
OGRE, but a little harder to kill than a really big tank.  As I get
things
playable for DS3, I'll certainly try the OGREettes at some point. :)

Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q Next: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q