Prev: Re: [GZG] Re: Gzg-l Digest, Vol 11, Issue 26 Next: [GZG] Re: Gzg-l Digest, Vol 11, Issue 28

Re: [GZG] Re: Gzg-l Digest, Vol 11, Issue 26

From: "Eric Foley" <stiltman@t...>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 12:50:41 -0800
Subject: Re: [GZG] Re: Gzg-l Digest, Vol 11, Issue 26

Well, even if satellites today aren't able to do sub 2 meter photography

from higher orbits, this by no means says that they couldn't do it in a
future where FTL travel is possible.  The government obviously never
releases their best satellite photography publicly, but even what they
have
released (that probably has seen a significant and deliberate drop in
quality from what they have in hand themselves) is good enough that I
personally have no doubt that reading license plates from orbit is a
fairly
trivial accomplishment for them these days.

This begins to remind me of the debate about planetside weapons versus
orbital ones, in which it was posited that in the far future satellites
and
other low flying spacecraft wouldn't really be all that safe close to a
well
protected planet.  Hammer's Slammers posits that just about anything
that
flies above ground tends to die in their glorification of super
hovertanks.
I would tend to think that it wouldn't be quite that extreme, but it
would
be an interesting dynamic.