Prev: Re: [GZG] DSIII q Next: Re: [GZG] NAC - American style - new ships

Re: [GZG] DSIII q

From: John K Lerchey <lerchey@a...>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 16:19:35 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

Grant,

I think that your comments are very constructive - especially when they
are mapped to "what works in a convention setting?"  I purposely left
out
most of the artillery (the base defenders had two mortar teams, but they

were only good against deployed infantry, and I don't think that the
K'hiff ever did deploy them!).

As to my mistakes with the rules, I must admit the combination of weekly

changes and modifications and too little sleep definitely had a negative

impact on my ability to keep things straight.  As OA pointed out to me
in
a seprate mailing, the changes that have been made in the last 6 months
actualy contribute to me NOT knowing what I'm doing 'cause I mix up what

is with what used to be.

On that note, I'm gonna try something completely different for ECCX. :)

John K. Lerchey
Assistant Director for Incident Response
Information Security Office
Carnegie Mellon University

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006, Grant A. Ladue wrote:

>> On Fri, 3 Mar 2006, Grant A. Ladue wrote:
>>
>>>    Yeah, but what kind of cover keeps a blaster from shooting at you
from
>>>  above?  They would have had to break for cover behind a building,
and at
>>>  infantry movement speed, they'd have been long dead before they
reached it.

>> Well, if you think about it, even entering Close Assault, you're at
least
>> 2mu distant, which is 200 meters.  You might be marginally "above"
them,
>> but infantry are really really really good at taking cover in small
places
>> (compared to vehicles).  Men can lay down, scrunch up, fold, staple
and
>> mutilate.  Oh... wait.  That's not quite right. ;)  But you get the
idea.
>> Even from on the hill where the AA units were initially deployed,
those
>> grav tanks were around a kilometer away from the infantry.  No way
that
>> they were high enough to fire down INTO the positions.  They weren't
>> flying. :)
>>

>    Well we definitely did something wrong there then.  :-)  Although I
could
>  argue that power blasters don't really need to see the specific
infantrymen
>  to fire away at them.  Entombment is plenty good enough.
>

>>>    Perhaps the answer is to have a mechanism for "hopeless"
firefights where
>>>  the side that can't shoot back can disband its unit and end the
firefight
>>>  before the other guy can creep up to it.  Just a thought off the
top of my
>>>  head.
>>>

>> Or just keep piling on the fire to force the infantry to accumulate
>> stress. They'll break eventually. :)
>>
>> John
>
>   :-)  Yeah, I get that.  I'm just saying that in a convention
setting, that
> can be an extended period of time where everyone else isn't doing
anything.
> Minimizing that is a good thing.  I know that a lot of it is that
we're not
> yet really familiar with the new system and therefore don't know how
to use it
> to avoid this.  Still, my first look at it made me feel like putting
in a few
> things to help limit one or two firefights being the *entire* game
would be a
> good thing.  I'll happily concede the point if repetitive play in a
similiar
> setting shows that it doesn't come up often enough to be a concern.
I'm