Prev: Re: [GZG] Primers Next: RE: [GZG] [Painting] primer

Re: [GZG] [ECC] Con Report/AARs (long)

From: "Grant A. Ladue" <ladue@c...>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 13:40:58 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [GZG] [ECC] Con Report/AARs (long)

> Sat. eve was the game I ran - The Battle of Titan: Human vs. KV late
> in the Siege of Sol.. 8 players and over 16,000 CPV of ships -
> nothing smaller than a heavy cruiser. I had some terrain in there -
> Saturn's rings - but initial player setups pretty much allowed them
> to ignore it. We tried out several new/playtest things. We had the UN

> with Grasers, the New Israelies with Stealth, and a new initiative
> system designed to balance larger and smaller ships, which I think
> worked out pretty well. The sceario was designed with the KV having a

> firepower advantage, and thus the Humans were really destined to
> lose. However, the humans had _smoking_ hot dice in the first real
> combat round - turn 4 saw the bulk of both sides *just* inside 18 MU
> of each other - critical for both the KV K-Guns and the UN Grasers.
> Grant LaDue (I think!) was ESU and scored on the order of 25 points
> with around 20 beam dice - twice. Carl Scheu with a flotilla of NSL
> BC's also dished out better thatn 1 damage/beam die several times
> from his wall. This was utterly necessary for the humans not to be
> flayed alive, given the array of K5's and K6's they were facing,
> where 1 hit would almost always do at least 10 points of damage.
> Time ran out after the humans and KV had passed through one another.
> The humans needed to disengage, since the surviving KV, though many
> were heavily damaged, were still too much for the humans to come
> around and face. The humans fared better than "historically", leaving

> the field with more intact ships, and heavily damaging more Kra'Vak
> than expected, so they were given a marginal victory. Titan Base
> would still fall, and the war would proceed insystem...

    It was Jerry who commanded the awesome ESU.  Carl and he definitely
turned
  the tide against the Kravak.	Unfortunately my own UNSC dice let me
down a
  couple of times, which kept it from being a bigger human win.  5
grazer dice
  into the rear of the damaged Kravak SDN managed 1 point of damage!
Sigh.  I
  rerolled it on the side and did 47 points the second time.  Ah well.
It was
  still fun to do more damage than we received considering their
advantage.

    I must say, the activation system that Noam used worked wonderfully,
and
  made for interesting tactical decisions in the initiative phase.  I'm
going
  to crib that mechanic for larger games myself.

    Great game Noam.  The con was filled with them this year.

  grant

Prev: Re: [GZG] Primers Next: RE: [GZG] [Painting] primer