Prev: Re: [GZG] Pre-painted Serenity model Next: Re: [GZG] [FT] fighter mix

Re: [GZG] [FT] fighter mix

From: "john tailby" <John_Tailby@x...>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 18:14:11 +1300
Subject: Re: [GZG] [FT] fighter mix

Within the requirements of 6 squadrons of fighters for 120 points there
isn't much room for upgrades beyond the effective mix that has already
been
suggested.

If you are playing the ships from the rulebook then they tend to have a
pretty small PDS suite so there isn't much to be gained from being
heavy.

I have seen it done with a light cruiser mounted one squadron of heavy
fast
torpedo bombers. They would reach out 48 inches and make their attack
run
against the enemy ship then whip back to the carrier for the refuel
rearm.

I built a carrier with 4 similar squadrons and they killed a 150 mass
battleship in one pass.

If playing against KraVak or SV opponents with access to scatter pack
type
weapons then the heavy upgrade is well worthwhile.

If you are worried about salvo missiles then you might do better having
2-3
squadrons of interceptors and the rest torpedo bombers. 4 squadrons of
torpedo bombers will ruin an enemy capital ships day while the
interceptors
in escort will supplement your point defence while your beams do the
damage.

John