Prev: Re: Surrendering Ships was [GZG] John's Shipbuilding Next: Re: [GZG] Full Sail and Morale

Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding

From: Samuel Penn <sam@g...>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 17:30:36 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding

On Thursday 19 January 2006 14:42, Brian B wrote:
> I just get tired of the way when someone suggests something helpful,
> people on the list tend to immediatelyt respond with the extreme case
> that's an exception to the rule instead of acknowledging that in most
> cases the suggestion might be a valid one.  The dismissive attitude
> gets a little old.

Well, apologies if it appeared dismissive, but what you said reminded
me of a particular SF plot, so I mentioned it since it might make for
an interesting campaign game. It wasn't an attempt to invalidate the
suggestion. I did assume that it would be obvious that such confusion
would only apply in very specific circumstances, and assumed you'd had
a really bad day at the office rather than being stupid.

[...rearrangement of paragraphs...]
> Furthermore, while it might be a fun plot twist for a GM in an RPG, if
> I was playing a tactical wargame and my opponent arbitrarily decided
> to use that as an escuse to keep firing on ships that I had retired
> from combat or surrendered, if the 'first contact' scenario had not
> been agreed upon, I'd decide he was a prick and probably would never
> play him again.

Why would they need an excuse? Unless you've agreed something
beforehand,
then there's nothing in FT currently that says you shouldn't fire at a
ship that is trying to run.

IME, anything trying to escape immediately becomes the primary target.
I've had way too much experience with players who absolutely refuse
to let anything surrender.

--
Be seeing you,			       http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.

Prev: Re: Surrendering Ships was [GZG] John's Shipbuilding Next: Re: [GZG] Full Sail and Morale