Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding Next: Re: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding

Re: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding

From: Indy <indy.kochte@g...>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 13:34:29 -0500
Subject: Re: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding

>    Hmm, I think you should also consider that scuttling and/or
abandoning
> ship
> may be the only way to visibly demonstrate to the other side that you
are
> no
> longer a danger that needs to be shot at.  This is certainly a reason
why
> ships were abandoned and scuttled in WW II.  So long as they were
afloat
> and
> had crew aboard it was nearly impossible for the other side to tell
> whether
> they were still a target that needed to be attacked or not.  Typically
the
> other side wouldn't stop firing at a target until they could see the
crew
> abandoning ship or the target was obviously foundering.
>    In space combat, it might take the destruction of the target
> (scuttling) or
> ejection of the power core (in the appropriate genre's) to convince
the
> other
> guy to stop firing on you.  In such a circumstance, abandoning ship
may be
> the
> *only* chance to survive.

I think these thoughts play into the adopted conventions and combat
honor of
the govenrmental/racial powers involved. If a gov't power/race is known
send up the white flag of surrender, and then fire upon the victors, it
is
very likely that future surrenders - whether or not legitimate - would
even
be honored.

At the same time, on the flip side, you can then start modelling races
who
will fire at a target until dead ("It's the only way to be sure"*,
refusing
to take prisoners. ;-)

* translated from whatever language originally spoken into language
understandable for readers of this thread

However, I think this really is outside the scope of FT games, and more
in
the realm of campaigns.

Hmmm, campaigns. Is that this thread or another? :dazed&confused:

Mk

Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding Next: Re: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding