Prev: Re: [GZG] Re: John's Shipbuilding Next: Re: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding

Re: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding

From: "Grant A. Ladue" <ladue@c...>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 13:00:25 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding

   Hmm, I think you should also consider that scuttling and/or
abandoning ship
 may be the only way to visibly demonstrate to the other side that you
are no
 longer a danger that needs to be shot at.  This is certainly a reason
why
 ships were abandoned and scuttled in WW II.  So long as they were
afloat and
 had crew aboard it was nearly impossible for the other side to tell
whether
 they were still a target that needed to be attacked or not.  Typically
the
 other side wouldn't stop firing at a target until they could see the
crew
 abandoning ship or the target was obviously foundering.
   In space combat, it might take the destruction of the target
(scuttling) or
 ejection of the power core (in the appropriate genre's) to convince the
other
 guy to stop firing on you.  In such a circumstance, abandoning ship may
be the
 *only* chance to survive.

  grant