Prev: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding Next: [GZG] Ship point values and effectiveness

Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding

From: "Eric Foley" <stiltman@t...>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 12:51:38 -0800
Subject: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding

The Bismarck's cruising speed was something like 28-32 knots.	There
were
relatively few British ships that were able to keep up with it.  The
King
George V class, battlecruisers, and true cruisers on both sides were
able to
stay with it, nothing that was able to match up with it very well in a
straight fight.  The British battlecruisers were always envisioned as
cruiser-killers and not things that were intended to stay up against
real
battleships, except that nobody seemed to ever tell the Admiralty that,
and
numerous instances in which they suffered catastrophic magazine
explosions
in such fights from armor that wasn't able to trade hits with
battleships at
all needed to happen before the Admiralty figured it out for themselves.

So yes, the Prinz Eugen and German destroyers were perfectly capable of
staying with the Bismarck.