Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] Plotless Full Thrust game Next: [GZG] [OT] Need some references

Re: [GZG] [FT] Plotless Full Thrust game

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 09:15:17 -0600
Subject: Re: [GZG] [FT] Plotless Full Thrust game

I thought of another thing I like to try when training someone who
hasn't
tried FT before, and to get them over the hurdle of plotting being
scary.

When demo'ing true FTII, ok, 'cinematic', I make my plot, then proceed
mark out my maneuver 'envelope', putting a marker where all thrust is
forward, a marker where all thrust is retarding, some markers at end
points
from a couple different turns. Assume no more than thrust four; thrust
one
would make the plotting MUCH simpler, but who wants to play pigs like
that?!?

Then the trainees work out their plots with near full knowledge.

Again, tedious, but gets the idea across in a turn or two.

Greg, it's your call on the lads, of course, but the short attention
span
issue isn't an absolute. Those darn kids will become addicted to the
weirdest things, e.g., math-o-phobes that develope into statistical
wizards, when describing favorite teams or players. I just don't claim
know how to make that addiction plotted FT. ;->=

Do let us know how your plotless adaptation works! I could be way off
base
here, but I'd just go with using another rule set, such as BFG, or 1st
addition Starfire. I've got hex-covered star mats for the latter, and
there
are plenty of fleets locally of the former, given it's died a pretty
solid
death, here.

By the way, 'plot the envelope' can be a useful tool for those of us
that
don't play for awhile, then find visualizing play tough for several
turns
on their first return game.

The_Beast

Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] Plotless Full Thrust game Next: [GZG] [OT] Need some references