Prev: [GZG] Re: Points systems Next: Re: [GZG] [FT] Plotless Full Thrust game

Re: [GZG] [FT] Plotless Full Thrust game

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 14:28:25 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] [FT] Plotless Full Thrust game

>Pardon my bluntness as I don't mean to tick off anyone.  Jon, you
>have a wonderful game as written.
>I love FT.  I'd gladly play it "according to Hoyle" using either
>cinematic or vector movement with
>anyone. I have no problems with plotted movement.

Don't worry Greg, no offence taken!  ;-)
We've happy that you play or modify FT to any way you like, as long
as you have fun with it!

>But I also know my nephews pretty well, and plotted movement is a
>non-starter. They have so many
>other toys and games to play with, that they simply won't play a
>second game if they have to
>use plotted movement.	I know this makes FT a different game.	I
>accept that.  My nephews won't
>be playing FT with anyone else except me, so they won't know the
>difference.  I thought about
>the idea of one side plotting movement while the other side moves
>unplotted, but it won't work
>for the reasons you give.  My nephews will want to play on opposite
>sides and I would like to
>include SMs eventually.

In that case, I'd probably suggest using movement alternating by ship
(though other options may work as well or better!), and accepting the
fact that certain things (such as the placed-marker weaponry) are
just not going to work as intended because they are so dependant on
plotting as a fundamental part of the game.

>So, I would like to politely and humbly ask that we just forget
>about plotted movement for
>the sake of this thread.
>
>I like Laserlight's idea of dummy SMs.  I'll mull that over to see
>if that'll work.

Yes, to me that sounds a good compromise if you want to use PMWs at
all; maybe two dummy markers for every real one, and if you place the
three in a good spread then even if your opponent maneuvers violently
to avoid them all (assuming he can do so), then they've at least had
some value as "area denial" weapons!
Maybe some limitation like all three (the real salvo and the two
dummies) must be no more than 6mu apart (from at least one other - so
a line of them 12mu long would be OK), and (as I think someone else
suggested earlier) PSB it that the firing ship launches a couple of
"crybaby" decoy missiles at the same time as the actual salvo....
come to think of it, that's not a bad idea for a weapon system option
even for "normal" plotted games....  ;-)

Best,

Jon (GZG)