Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] Plotless Full Thrust game Next: Re: [GZG] Re: Simplicity and tech levels

[GZG] Re: Simplicity and tech levels

From: Hugh Fisher <laranzu@o...>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 21:43:14 +1100
Subject: [GZG] Re: Simplicity and tech levels

I've changed the subject since this is way off the original...

"Mike Hillsgrove" <mikeah@cablespeed.com> wrote:

>I'm also of the opinion that in a fleet game, simplicity is the key.
Rather
>than complicateing the matter with many multiple systems, dozens of
weapons,
>etc, a single PDF rating or the largest guns available on a particular
ship
>given size and technology would be a better game design improvement.

Full Thrust is beautifully simple. Have you ever tried playing
Babylon 5 Wars? And I'm sure other people on this list will
mention Star Fleet Battles unfavourably.

>I would also like to see more "technology" in terms of teck levels.
The
>better the Teck Level, the smaller and more powerful the systems
available
>on the ships.	A few high tech Ancient ships should be able to trounce
>larger number of lower tech newbies in space.	 To balance the fights,
well
>crafted victory conditions and adjusting the numbers are in order.

If you want a simple game, you don't want tech levels! And
historically, low tech opponents cannot defeat high tech
except by swamping them with sheer numbers, which doesn't
make for an interesting game. I believe John Atkinson has
some forcibly expressed opinions on this subject with regard
to StarGrunt/DirtSide.

	cheers,
	Hugh

Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] Plotless Full Thrust game Next: Re: [GZG] Re: Simplicity and tech levels