Prev: RE: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all..... Next: RE: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

RE: [GZG] [FT] Plotless Full Thrust game

From: <Beth.Fulton@c...>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 13:15:01 +1100
Subject: RE: [GZG] [FT] Plotless Full Thrust game

G'day,

> But I also know my nephews pretty well, and plotted movement is a
> non-starter....

How old are they?

Our 2 olders kids (now a week off 9 and a month off 12) progressed
through
1) no plotting and move on a whim
2) tell Mum where they want to go and I write their orders under
instruction
3) they write it and we go easy on mistakes
4) everyone is writing orders and being held to them

They actually progress through those levels fairly fast (so if an older
kid they'll be plotting after a handful of games, if younger and still
learning to write it may take until they're 7-8 or so to get to the
final stage).

Mei at 4 is still only pointing where she wants stuff to go (though even
she wants to write scribble orders on her "ships driving sheet"). Also
as for SMs even without plotting kids can become a little tunnel vision
and fly right beside one anyway, it wouldn't be the first time I've said
"do you really want to fly right next to that missile?". Dummy's are
good solution too though.

Even if you go no plotting for them I'd still strongly recommend you
plot. Kids love to feel grown up so if they see you plotting then they
will want to too soon enough. Depending on their age, if you pretend to
be the nav computer they're programming with their stylus they'll get
some extra kicks out of their goofy Uncle ;)

It also sets them up to more smoothly progress into "full FT" as they
age, they're not suddenly bombarded with game concepts they haven't seen
used.

Cheers

Beth

Prev: RE: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all..... Next: RE: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....