Prev: Re: Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all..... Next: Re: [GZG] [FT] Plotless Full Thrust game

[GZG] [FT] Plotless Full Thrust game

From: Gregory Wong <sax@s...>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 13:03:13 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [GZG] [FT] Plotless Full Thrust game

I would like to teach my nephews to play Full Thrust. Unfortunately,
computer video games have shortened their attention span. I think
the one thing that will put them off is plotting moves for the
individual ships. So, I would like to introduce houserules that do
away with plotting.  I recognize that it is still important to
keep track of the previous turn's speed, so I'll make up some counters
to put on each ship's stand to record this.

We'll only be using human Kra'Vak ships.

Looking over the sequence of play, we won't have to worry about Sa'Vasku

power allocations and Phalon Vapour Shroud deployment orders.

I was thinking of dividing the Move Ships phase into 5 segment.
Starting with the player who lost the initiative, a player moves
1 fifth of his ships during the first segment. This is followed
by the other player and so on.	If a side has a number of ships
not evenly divisible by 5, then the excess are moved during the
earlier segments.  E.g., if I have 18 ships, then I move 4 ships
each during segments 1, 2, and 3, and 3 ships each during segments
4 and 5.

Fighters continue to move according to the normal rules with screening
fighters moving with their charges.

The snag I'm running into is how to deal with Salvo Missiles.  These
are normally fired after moves have been plotted, but before ships
are moved.  I can see handling this in one of three ways under my
new scheme:

Option 1: Alternate firing all salvoes before movement. This retains
the need to predict where the enemy ships are going, but it gives
the enemy the opportunity to dodge or screen the salvoes.

Option 2: Alternate firing all salvoes after movement. Without
having to predict where the enemy is moving, this makes salvoes
more accurate then they were normally.

Option 3: When moving a salvo armed ship, fire its salvoes just
before moving that ship.  This is sort of a compromise of
options 1 and 2.  It is very accurate against ships which have
already moved (i.e. no movement prediction needed), but allows
ships which haven't moved a chance to dodge them.

Are there other options I should consider?

I welcome your comments and suggestions.

--Greg

Prev: Re: Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all..... Next: Re: [GZG] [FT] Plotless Full Thrust game