Prev: Re: [GZG] Re: Re: [FT] Vectoring Kra'Vak Next: [GZG] conversion questions

Re: [GZG] Re: Re: [FT] Vectoring Kra'Vak

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@t...>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:28:10 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Re: Re: [FT] Vectoring Kra'Vak

David Billinghurst wrote:

> >and in Fleet Book Vector you rarely need more than
> >thrust-4 (Standard engines) anyway.
>
>Seriously?

Yes.

>[...] surely being able to trim a couple of MU off the triangle gets
you
>back in the action sooner.

Sure, but getting back to the fight sooner only really matters if your
fleet has been scattered and you need to regroup before the enemy can
defeat you in detail, or if you need to catch the enemy quickly for some

specific reason (eg. before he can attack the convoy/ planet/ whatever
your
fleet is protecting, or if he has longer-ranged weapons than you do so
you
need to close the range to shoot back at him, or if *he* has scattered
and
*you* are trying to defeat him in detail before he can regroup).

If no such "special conditions" apply, your fleet can afford taking its
time to get back into the fight a lot better than it can afford going
into
action without those extra weapons or hull/armour boxes it had to lose
get the bigger engines - Laserlight's example of a Vector BB (TMF ~120)
choosing between 3 extra single-arc Class-3 batteries or 2 extra main
drive
thrust points is right on target. The key thing here is that each extra
thrust point costs your ship 5% of its total Mass, which is a lot -
increasing the Main Drive rating by a mere 2 Thrust Points can easily
cost
the ship one-third of its offensive armament or a quarter of its passive

defences (hull boxes, armour, screens).

(Whether or not *you* can stand playing out the slow chase in another
question entirely, of course - it can easily bore you to tears, or drive

your SO mad since she needs the table too, etc... :-/ )

>Or do most big actions take place at low velocity (by big action I'm
>talking 1500 - 2000 points plus)?

Generally yes, though it depends a lot on your definition of "low
velocity". (Different gaming groups can have very different definitions
of
this - eg., for me any Cinematic speeds lower than 20 are "slow" while
"fast" doesn't start until somehwere around 40+ and "too fast" is almost

unheard of; OTOH I've met other Cinematic players who considered speeds
above 12 to be "ridiculously fast".)

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ariander@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [GZG] Re: Re: [FT] Vectoring Kra'Vak Next: [GZG] conversion questions