Prev: Re: [GZG] Re: First go at a campaign - some questions Next: Re: Re: [GZG] Re: First go at a campaign - some questions

Re: Re: [GZG] Re: First go at a campaign - some questions

From: John Tailby <john_tailby@x...>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 16:21:07 +1300
Subject: Re: Re: [GZG] Re: First go at a campaign - some questions

> From: Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrathwiz@comcast.net>
> Date: 2005/11/02 Wed PM 01:36:28 GMT+13:00
> To: gzg-l@lists.csua.berkeley.edu
> Subject: Re: [GZG] Re: First go at a campaign - some questions
>
> Doug Evans wrote:
> > On a different note, my system fourway campaign design had
simplistic
> > (TSR's Buck Rogers board game) orbital mechanics that meant that
allies, on
> > opposite sides of the outer orbital ring, had enemies 'to the right
and
> > left of them.' Ganging up should have meant draining 'borders' to
the other
> > enemy.
>
>	That orbital map in the Buck Rogers game was quite
>	ingenious.  One of these days I'm going to
>	try to adapt it to other games.

Nope I don't think it works like that.

If player 2 is between player 1 and 3 and opposite player 4 as son as
player 2 moves to attacker player 4 they weaken their fleet facing
players 1 and 3 who promptly attack player 2. They don't need to weaken
their borders against player 4 becaus player 2 will already have
withdrawn units for the attack against player 4.

Player 4 will already have 1 war going against player 2 and mostly won't
want to rock the boat by attacking player 1 or 3.

Nett result player 2 gets eaten and players 1 and 3 get most of player
2's territory. Players 1 and 3 are now much more powerful than player 4
so that player will be next.

The 4 player map with everyone bordering each other is the sure way to
guarantee peace or limit confilt to low intensity fights. No one can
risk the loss of fleet assetts a big battle could result in.

even if you mutually destroy one opponent you are vulnerable to the
other 2.