Prev: Re: [GZG] Threshold checks - how I do them Next: [GZG] Royal Dutch Commonwealth?

Re: [GZG] First go at a campaign - some questions

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 13:50:38 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] First go at a campaign - some questions

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 02:40:52PM +0100, Claus Paludan wrote:
>I am in the process of planning a campaign for FT and was planning on
>stealing as much as I could from Paul Radfords campaign rules(
>http://www.paulradford.mistral.co.uk/ft/camrules.html) as possible.
>I looked at Roger B. Wests rules as well
>(http://firedrake.org/roger/ft/campaign.html), but they had a bit more
>micromanagement than I am aiming for at the start. (Allthough the two
>sets of campaign rules DO look quite the same in some points :))

I was aiming for a very basic extension of the tactical system rather
than a high-level wargame...

I should say I haven't used those rules myself for a while.

>* how do you recieve orders? Do you have a specific format that the
>players should use, and if so would it be possible to see it?

I left this up to the players, but broadly it tended to be simple
sentences:

"Ships A, B and C are now known as Fleet Q."

"Move Fleet Q to world J."

"Repair the heaviest ships first."

>* How do you handle the umpire participating in the campaign? If at all

>possible?

In one game I ran a Sa'Vasku invasion - think roughly B5 Shadow War in
style, as the players had to decide whether to share information or
accuse each other of having hideously high-tech ships. :-)

>* I might put up a webpage of my own with pics and battlereports etc
and
>of course my modified (why can't we wargamers ever just use things as
>is? :) ) campaign rules. I would however very much like to credit the
>original work and authors and it seems like your set of rules	has some

>of the same text as Roger's (or the other way around). To whom should I

>give credit?

I'm fairly sure I didn't take anything from Paul, but some of my
material (as far as I remember, the setup phase for the actual tactical
games) was derived from a battle generator written by "Reason" (whose
material is no longer available).

>* if you have any objections against me putting stuff like this on the
>net please let me know and I will make sure it is only available to my
>own players!

For what it's worth I have no objection to my material's being used in
this way.

>I am still in the process of determining whether we should transport
>RP's from their extraction point to shipyards/homeworld or just make
>them universally available right away.

The former is hard work to keep track of; the latter stops you having
convoy raiding scenarios. :-(

Prev: Re: [GZG] Threshold checks - how I do them Next: [GZG] Royal Dutch Commonwealth?