Prev: Re: [GZG] Threshold checks - (how I do them and pre-plotted) Next: Re: [GZG] First go at a campaign - some questions

Re: [GZG] Threshold checks - how I do them

From: "Samuel Penn" <sam@g...>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 13:48:01 -0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Threshold checks - how I do them

On Mon, October 31, 2005 13:25, Ground Zero Games said:
> OK, this is just a wild, off-the-cuff thought - is most definitely is
> NOT a proposal for doing FT3 this way, but just something to throw
> out to all of you for discussion! It is completely untested, mostly
> un-thought-through and quite possibly daft - but it just popped into
> my head while I was reading some of the recent posts on this topic:
>
> [I should probably be posting this to the Test list rather than the
> main one, but what the heck - it's not a serious "OFFICIAL"
> suggestion (well, not unless everyone likes it...), so let everyone
> have a comment!!]
>
> Count the number of systems on a given ship, and distribute that
> number of "C" (Critical) boxes evenly throughout the hull box track.
> Now, every time that damage reaches or passes a "C" box, roll 1 die -
> if the score is 1 or 2, there is no effect; if it is 3 or 4, then the
> TARGET ship's player gets to pick one system to be knocked out; on a
> 5 or 6, the FIRER gets to choose!
> [Alternative - every "C" box hit results in a system being
> automatically KO'd - a die is still rolled, if ODD then it is FIRER'S
> choice, if EVEN it is TARGET'S...]

The problem is that the firer then always chooses the reactor
or something equally critical (can't remember what the
effects of the 3 core systems were). If you only have one FC,
then that could be a 50% chance of loosing the FC on the first
threshold check (if loss of FC means taking the ship out of
battle, then the firer is going to choose that).

If you just have a set number, and set it based on ship size,
even with the ship owner choosing, they're going to end up
loosing useful systems after the 2nd check (assuming they used
the first threshold to get rid of all the least useful systems).

--
Be seeing you,		  Web: www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.			   IM: samuel.penn@gmail.com