Prev: RE: [GZG] ESU Ural class Naval station : Irkutsk - 337 - WIP Next: Re: [GZG] Converting 25mm Resin vehicles

Re: [GZG] Re: More beta ships

From: Ken Wang <azuredolfin@y...>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 21:17:01 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Re: More beta ships

I'm glad you like my designs.

My design philosophy was:
1.) I wanted a unique ship design using existing systems. Pulse
Torp-centric ships did not exist, so that explains the PTs.
2.) I wanted to loosely follow WWII Imperial Japanese Warships with some
anime influence (i.e. Star Blazers and Macross).
2a.) Which explains having lots of big guns with a majority pointing
forward (pseudo-WM gun).
2b.) Which explains less hull due to less watertight
compartmentalization and also the armor to compensate.
2c.) Which explains the light PDS coverage, WWII, they had similiar
problems due the type AA guns they were using.
3.) It was logical that a forward weapon arc heavy ship would want
greater maneuverability to swing those limited arcs around; which also
explains why I originally used the broadside arc rule (by Noam Izenberg)
for the PTs. The broadside arc allowed me to fly the ship like a WWII
gun line (broadside fires).
4.) I translated the designs into standard arc to allow players the
option if they didn't like playing with mixed arcs.
5.) The variants were a natural extension of what would happen after a
military force encounters another miltary using different
weapon-centricity. That explains the all gun (NSL) and missile variants
(FSE).
6.) I like the mecha fighters because with my "mecha" rules you could
assault the ships directly (i.e. mecha on hull blasting away!).

Please let me know how your battle goes, should you decide to use them,
Based on other comments that I have received is that the issues of
concern seem to be the hull and PDS.

Regards,

Ken

I like your ships, Mr Wang!

I'm intrigued by the design philosphy; can you
elaborate?

I'm thinking I may try the 'std arc' shipz tonight, if
FT is what we decide to play. AAR if relevant.

-j

Prev: RE: [GZG] ESU Ural class Naval station : Irkutsk - 337 - WIP Next: Re: [GZG] Converting 25mm Resin vehicles