Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG] Cracking Eggs with a Sledgehammer, was Power Next: Re: [GZG] [SG] Cracking Eggs with a Sledgehammer, was Power

Re: [GZG] [SG] Cracking Eggs with a Sledgehammer, was Power

From: "Fred Schmidt" <fcschmidt@p...>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 01:02:17 -0700
Subject: Re: [GZG] [SG] Cracking Eggs with a Sledgehammer, was Power

Quoted from:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gee_force

One often hears the term being applied to the limits that the human body
can
withstand without blacking out, sometimes referred to as g-loc (loc
stands
for loss of consciousness). A typical person can handle about 5 g (50
m/s²)
before this occurs, but through the combination of special g-suits and
efforts to strain muscles -both of which act to force blood back into
the
brain- modern pilots can typically handle 9 g (90 m/s²). Resistance to
"negative" or upward gees, which drive blood to the head, is much less;
typically in the 2-3 g (20 to 30 m/s²) range the vision goes red,
probably
due to capillaries in the eyes bursting under the increased blood
pressure.

Fred