Prev: RE: [GZG] Beta Playtest Rules Next: RE: [GZG] [FT] Beta Playtest Rules

RE: [GZG] Beta Playtest Rules

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@t...>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 18:06:27 +0200
Subject: RE: [GZG] Beta Playtest Rules

Noam wrote:

>(That's about 60 battles assuming standard meeting engagement only,
>all of which need reports to be useful - other setups merit other
tests)

...and here's a guide describing how to record playtests so they're as
useful as possible to us. However, be aware that recording all this is a

rather slow business. Having one dedicated record-keeper who doesn't
participate in the actual game speeds things up considerably, though it
isn't always that fun for the one selected to keep records!

At the start of the battle record...
* At least in the first report you post, a *detailed* listing of which
rules you use - which movement system you use, whether or not you use
Core
Systems, any optional, advanced or house rules in play, what size your
Measuring Units (mu) are, and so on. Do NOT just say "the usual rules"
until the rest of us know exactly what "the usual rules" are - Full
Thrust
has a LOT of options, and they all influence the game balance to some
extent.
* The size of your gaming table in mu, and whether you use a fixed or a
floating table.
* Fleet lists of all ships on each side, including point totals. If you
use
any custom designs, include all stats for them.
* Starting positions, velocities and courses for all ships.

During each game turn, record...
* Who won the initiative.
* Generalise movement orders and current velocity. Eg., saying "The
light
ships turned 3 pts to starboard and accellerated to speed 26, while the
capital ships and escort cruisers accellerated straight ahead to speed
16.
The fighters screened the capitals." is generally more useful than
listing
the exact movement orders for each ship - the text description is much
easier to read, and gives essentially the same information.
*  Combat results for every ship and fighter group - indicate every
weapon
fired, its target, range, arc fired out of, and damage caused. I usually

clump all weapons of the same type on the same ship firing at the same
target together, rather than displaying each individual weapon battery
separately. Eg., if a ship has 4 B2s and 2 B1s and fires 2 B2s and both
B1s
at one target and the other two B2s at another target, I record them as
3
entries: one for the first 2 B2s, one for the B1s, and one for the last
two
B2s firing at the other target.
* If a ship reaches a threshold or is hit by Needle Beams, EMP weapons
or
similar, list any systems damaged or destroyed.
* If a ship repairs systems, list them.

At the end of the battle:
* Summarize the status of the surviving ships - the amount of hull and
armour damage taken in particular, but preferrably also all damaged
systems
and unused expendable ordnance. This serves as a double-check to see if
there has been some damage that went unrecorded in the heat of battle.

This is quite a lot to record, but it really helps us a lot. The
participants' perception of what happened during the game is often quite

different to what actually did happen; a detailed report allow us to
determine what actually did happen... some examples (all of which have
happened many times during our playtest battles):

* All players thought that one side had won the battle hands down, when
in
fact both sides had lost almost exactly the same percentage of their
hull/armour boxes; but while one side had lost several ships and had the

rest untouched the other had taken some damage to all units, so one side

*seemed* to be in far worse shape than the other;

* All players thought that one particularly overpowered weapon had
decided
the outcome, when in fact that weapon was the *least* effective one in
the
battle - but although most of its shots inflicted no damage at all, it
had
scored that one _massive_ hit that everyone remembered whereas the other

weapons had caused a steady but unspectacular trickle of damage instead;

* All players thought that one particularly overpowered weapon had
decided
the outcome, when in fact the side using that weapon had outmanoeuvred
the
opponents so they couldn't shoot back at all! (*Any* weapon can be a
battle-winner if the enemy can't return fire, like...)

In order to record all this data, I use a weapons-fire record sheet with

the following columns:

Turn   Firing ship   Target   Range   Arc   Weapon   Damage inflicted
Notes

The "Notes" column is used eg. to list damage deflected by screens,
extreme
die rolls, target systems knocked out by threshold checks, Needle Beams
or
EMPs, and anything else which doesn't quite fit in the other columns.
Fighters and missiles tend to have quite a lot of stuff in the "Notes"
column, for example.

The "Arc" column lists which fire arc the *firer* used, not which arc on

the target the shots struck.

While I can usually figure out the rough range fired if you give the
number
of dice rolled for each weapon, but listing the range explicitly saves
me a
fair amount of work and doesn't add much extra record-keeping for you
:-/

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ariander@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: RE: [GZG] Beta Playtest Rules Next: RE: [GZG] [FT] Beta Playtest Rules