Prev: Re: [GZG] Hello List and some ruminations on FTL Next: [GZG] Potential new weapon

Re: [GZG] Hello List and some ruminations on FTL

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:20:04 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Hello List and some ruminations on FTL

***
In the last few pages of FB1 there's fluff text about FTL, it's around
there.	Bottom of the page, although I can't quite visualize which page.

>From FB1:
* The longest verified controlled jump (i.e.: excluding random misjumps)
date was in
2177, when the NAC experimental fast courier RNS Hyacinth attained a
realspace
displacement of 7.328 light years in a single Jumpspace transit.
***

Ok, locked in Tufflyverse, it is. I defer, and demure. Still, not locked
into Full Thrust, of course.

***
>There is strong reason to believe that the center is still most
populated,
most productive, most important part of human space, though I won't call
it
'proved'.

Yeah, call it proved. Beth has done population modelling, and the vast
majority of the human race is still in the Solar system.
***

Well, when have you seen me anything BUT deferent to Beth's merest whim,
but I still maintain that the further into the future the prediction,
the
more tenuous the underlying assumptions, especially when involving human
and technological advancements.

Also, her numbers tell less about the 'productivity' factor; Sol could
well
be a bloated patrician living off the labors of the 'slave' colonies.
Trust
me, that's the story many of them are telling. ;->=

Expect me to treat any FH's ignoring Beth's projections as pure fantasy,
but expect me to acknowledge any FH as fantasy, just more or less
reasonable.

By the by, I said:
> ... I think you may be pleased with FTIII, to be announced REAL SOON
(tm).

>From FB1:
...Our intention is that there will be a full new edition of the rules,
FULL THRUST THIRD EDITION, at some point in the near(ish) future,...
Jon Tuffley, GROUND ZERO GAMES, April 1998.

As always, breath holding is contra-indicated...

The_Beast

Prev: Re: [GZG] Hello List and some ruminations on FTL Next: [GZG] Potential new weapon