Prev: Re: [FT] squadron suggestions Next: Re: [FT] squadron suggestions

Re: [FT] squadron suggestions

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 19:52:22 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] squadron suggestions

Andy said:
> Is the point to implement a defensive bonus for smaller ships
because you want it,
> or to balance them out?
> If the latter, how far does the combat point value (the one with
mass^2/100) go
> towards encouraging small ships?

Two reasons.
First is that CPV gives you more small ships for a given point value,
but each individual small ship dies just as fast.  That makes it hard
to explain why a frigate would show up in a capital ship battle in the
first place. My solution, usually, is that frigates *don't*
participate, but YMMV.

Second reason is that, logically, it ought to be easier to hit a SDN
than a DD.  Let's say the DD is mass 25, the SDN is mass 200, and they
have similar configurations (same ratio of length to width to height).
If I've done this right (without benefit of caffeine), the SDN is
presenting four times the cross section area as the DD; aiming errors
which would miss the DD entirely merely mean that you hit the SDN
somewhere other than where you planned.  But FT doesn't (officially)
have any way to account for that.

Prev: Re: [FT] squadron suggestions Next: Re: [FT] squadron suggestions