Prev: Re: Fighters....Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada Next: Name change

Re: [LONG] Unified Fighter Proposal UFP Lite

From: le morpion <morpion_1@y...>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 21:24:13 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: [LONG] Unified Fighter Proposal UFP Lite

hej !

> Replace the sentence
>
> "Kra'Vak scatterguns and Sa'Vasku interceptor pods
> may not use ADFC guidance."
>
> with
>
> "Kra'Vak scatterguns, Sa'Vasku interceptor pods and
> Anti-Ship mode fire may
> not use ADFC guidance."

ok då ! I misunderstood things, thinking that you
could "spare" a fire con. using an ADFC instead.

> Missiles only lose the ability to strike the enemy
> first if the missile
> boats launch straight ahead of themselves and then
> attempt to follow behind
> the missiles into the enemy fleet. If the missile
> boats instead approach
> the enemy obliquely and turn away immediately after
> launching, they're
> still quite capable of striking first.

I meant strike first in the same turn, the 1rst wave
consisting of missile, your ship's beam finishing the
work. The main idea behind this is a kind of space
blitzkrig. The missile disabling enemy ships enough
hoping that they could less/not respond in the same
phase against your ship.
After all the main thing is to destroy enemy ships. So
the uses of expendable missile is to make the first
job (reducing enemy respond capacity) and you can
selectively finish them off/attack other ships during
the ships attack phase.
You suggest the improvement of selectively disabling
enemy PDS :

> The main - and equally intentional - IMPROVEMENT of
> missile power in the
> beta-test rules comes from the attackers' ability to
> use direct-fire
> weapons to damage or destroy some of those defending
> point defence weapons
> which would otherwise be capable of shooting at the
> missiles, before those
> point defence weapons get a chance to do so :-/

 but then you have to damage enemy ships (smashing it
so to say ) -unless you utilise needle beam, which are
rare weapon - for letting the missile finishing it.
Missile doesn't play the main role anymore, helping in
damaging enemy, but auxiliary : destroying already
wounded beasts :). That's not a tragic change ;) but
io kind of see missile bit less usefull then.

For now missile are logically expensive for a one shot
weapon. Even though they're not much accurante
(ordnance needs to be placed carefully) they can
potentially make quiet good punishment before you'll
have to suffer enemy damage (and that whatever the
position you come from). I particularly like the image
of a fleet launching its ordonnance and attacking just
after (specially in a frontal opposition). After all
they DO strike first in the actual turn sequence and
that's probably not by accident ;)

> Anti-Ship fire doesn't really affect Salvo Missiles
> or AMTs much - their -3
> DRM against Anti-Ship fire makes them very difficult
> targets, particularly
> for beams. Heavy Missiles (formerly known as "More
> Thrust" missiles) are
> usually easier for the anti-ship weapons to hit, but
> OTOH you need one FCS
> per HM rather than one per full salvo.

that's no pb for me, it's logical with the global
solution proposed !

> The main - and fully intentional - reduction of
> missile power in the
> beta-test rules comes from the defenders' improved
> area-defence capability
> (using FCSs to direct PD fire at missile salvoes
> that don't attack the ship
> itself) and their new ability to optimize their
> point defence firepower
> (each ship allocates its weapons - including point
> defences - when it is
> chosen to fire, and can therefore observe the
> results of the previous
> ships' fire before it picks its own targets).

again perfectly logical, it's after all the main point
of this &#946;-test to improve ships "air-defense".

> >Could it be possible for missile to keep their
> attack
> If you resolve missile attacks *before* the Ship's
> Fire phase you have to
> put the PDS phase right back in again (and thus get
> all that weapons
> tracking back again).

I agree, the main point is to facilitate game activity
and then multiplying exceptions is a probably not the
best thing :) !

My final point is : the amendment is, as far as I
understood, to prevent some *abuse* in fighter use and
simplify the game.
I *hope* that this will not change to much missile use
as it is now because as you said (or was it roger ?)
FT is one rare game provinding both interessting
ordnance and direct fire !
and apart for this little missile thing, the whole
rule looks neat to me !!!

/morp

Découvrez le nouveau Yahoo! Mail : 250 Mo d'espace de stockage pour vos
mails !

Prev: Re: Fighters....Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada Next: Name change