Prev: RE: Bases Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] New ESU ships: NAMING HELP REQUEST!

RE: Bases

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 14:39:14 -0600
Subject: RE: Bases

For the really expensive version, you can buy bar stock in various
metals - steel, stainless steel and brass, with a hexagonal cross
section.  A 2" diameter brass rod, approximately 12" long is $80.00.  By
sawing into 1/2" thick plates, you get bases that weigh about 4-5 ounces
each. You can then drill a hole in the center and weld or braze a steel
or brass rod as the post.

I have seen them used for 1/300th pewter aircraft on 30" long antennae
and they will right themselves until almost 45 degrees from vertical.  I
would assume that they would be able to hold heavier masses upright at
heights of 4-6".

--Binhan