Prev: Re: Flight stands, was Re: [OFFICIAL] New ESU ships: Next: Re: [SG2} House Rules for Fire Team Units

Re: New KV designs, was Re: A remark...

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 22:41:25 +0200
Subject: Re: New KV designs, was Re: A remark...

le morpion wrote:

>>UNDIA reporting name "Kedge"
>>(Yes, I know that this is very similar to "Keg"
>>(FT403 Ka'Tak striker). One reason for this is that there aren't too
many
>>single-syllable English words beginning with "K", the other is that
the
>>two ships
>>are very similar stats-wise :-/ )
>
>well, in that case you may consider also that they
>could be named in another language :)

I already have. "Kayak", "Karate", "Kanaka" and "Koorbash" are all
non-English words originally (although English has subsequently borrowed

them, just like it has borrowed khaki and kepi) :-/

>If a FSE ship encounters a new Kra Vak type you may
>consider using Képi (military hat) Kaki (brownish
>color)

UNDIA reporting names for escort-class vessels are *single*-syllable.
"Khaki" and "kepi" are both two-syllable, and therefore cruisers.

Alan Brain suggested:

>Kat, Kedge, Keg, Ken, Kid, Kiff, Kick, Kill, Kim, Kin, Kip, Kir (good
>suggestion that), Kirsch, Kiss, Kit...

Of these Kedge, Keg, Kick, Kin, and Kip are already used, along with
Kite,
Kerf and Kart. Kit/Kid and Kim/Kin are pronouciation-pairs similar to
the
Keg/Kedge one, so should be used very carefully; similarly Kat and Kate
are
both quite similar in pronounciation to Kite at least for some English
dialects (not to mention English pronounced by certain foreigners, eg.
FSE
officers ;-) ).

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Flight stands, was Re: [OFFICIAL] New ESU ships: Next: Re: [SG2} House Rules for Fire Team Units