Prev: Re: [SG2} House Rules for Fire Team Units Next: Re: Traveller + SG2/DS2/?

RE: [SGII] Vehicle Command Suite Effects

From: "Richard Kirke" <richardkirke@h...>
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 21:08:39 +0000
Subject: RE: [SGII] Vehicle Command Suite Effects

My Leige,

>I just purchased Stargrunt II (yay)

Good choice, an excellent system!

>recently and i've been wondering about
>the CnC System that can be bought for vehicles.

>I know about the loss of a command vehicle/emplacement in DSII but I
can't
>seem to find any crunchy game bits relating to the command suite in
SGII.

This is probably the one fault with SGII, in it's (mostly successful)
attempt to not be too legalistic, it does seem to have left big gaps.

>Aside from costing 8 capacity, what other effects does the command
suite
>have on the game if on-table? I looked at quite a few FAQs but cannot
find
>the info.

I suspect that this is very much up to the player (or umpire) to decide.
think it unrealistic to ascribe platoon C&C functions to a unit inside a

vehicle that is almost a big as 8 men in full combat armour! To be
honest
even Company level infantry command seems a task that would only need a
signaller lugged suite.

Vehicle units on the other hand might well deserve a CnC suite. So
perhaps
combined arms Company and upwards might require the CnC unit to be a
vehicle.

>I was tempted to say that while the command vehicle is on-table, all
>communications rolls are shifted up by one. (a SYS damage result would
of
>course kill the CnC suite) It can be crewed by up to 4 people. (seems
>be the norm in the back of the book and stargrunt.ca)

A signaller vehicle might allow liason with off-table units, such as
artillery, aerospace etc or battalion or above command.

The idea of all communications flowing through a central hub I don't
like,
after all it would be much easier to spoof/hack/disable such a system.

The CnC's role is largely to dispense extra activations to subordinate
units, allowing (for example at company level) 4 units to simultaneously

fire at a particular target.

I suspect that the capacity listing is more to synchronise SGII with
DSII.

Comments, corrections, abuse, all welcome (except the last one)

Richard

Prev: Re: [SG2} House Rules for Fire Team Units Next: Re: Traveller + SG2/DS2/?