Prev: Re: More Stargrunt-SL (was Re: SG2tweaks) Next: Re: Traveller + SG2/DS2/?

FireteamTweak.

From: Infojunky <infojunky@c...>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 16:22:02 +0100
Subject: FireteamTweak.

Allan Goodall wrote:

> 1. Fireteams exist within a squad structure. They train to mutually
> support one another. If you simply organize your units so that the
> fireteam is a unit you lose the squad level of organization
completely.
> You can have the fireteam of one squad on one side of the board while
> the other fireteam of a squad is on the opposite side of the board
with
> no ill effect. You really need to add rules to give players an
incentive
> to keep fireteams together as part of a squad.

Yes, there needs to be some function in there that rewards team play
within squads. At this point I probably gonna work backwards, try and
get a functioning command/activation fix for vehicles then figure out
teams vs. squads. The quick and dirty look like it will do for now.

> 2. SG2's morale is pretty forgiving. As written, you only have to make

> the more serious Confidence Tests when a squad has lost more than half

> of its troops in a single attack (I'm ignoring artillery and aerospace

> attacks here). Smaller squads have an advantage in that they	are
> usually down to a single man by the time they get a Broken result, if
> even then. The smaller the squad, the more likely it will be destroyed

> before it can break or rout. So, if you model your fireteams as
> essentially small squads, morale effects within the game become fairly

> diluted. Now, there's an obvious solution to this: use one Confidence
> Marker per squad, with casualties to each fireteam in a squad
> contributing to the squad's overall Confidence.

Thay is a good point and Idea. And if works back into the vehicles
fixxes.

> Example: one fireteam is under artillery attack and another is
> not. Should the other fireteam's morale suffer because part of the
squad
> is under artillery fire?

Yes...

> 3. What purpose is served by the Squad Leader? Modern U.S. infantry
> squads consist of 9 men in two fireteams of 4, plus a squad leader.
What
> does this squad leader do when you have fireteams as independent
units?
> Is he just a part of one fireteam with no benefit other than adding to

> the firepower die? Or should he have some sort of benefit to the squad

> as a whole?

That really is coming up against one of the things I have been hitting,
How many command levels should there be on the board.

>> Beaten zone rules.... Yes, a general supression fire rule might be
>> nice, deignate a area that you are using automatic weapons to
supress.

> That's a good idea, and one I've seen used in other games.

They are great for denying parts of the battlefield.

> My main web page is http://www.hyperbear.com. The Beast gave you the
URL
> to the Phalon playtest rules (thanks, Beast!).

Cool, thanks.

> I prefer playing SG2 in 15mm scale, too. When I have the room, I play
it
> in 15mm with 25mm scale (i.e. 1" = 10 metres). It is possible to play
> 15mm in metric, though (1 cm = 10 metres).
>
> By the way, the game seems to be more "realistic" if you assume a
scale
> of 1" = 15 metres, instead.

That is one of the things I have been playing with.

--
Evyn

"Scientia Est Potentia"

http://ceecom.net

Prev: Re: More Stargrunt-SL (was Re: SG2tweaks) Next: Re: Traveller + SG2/DS2/?