Prev: Re: Ground Zero Games Convention/Interesting game construct Next: Re: Ground Zero Games Convention/Interesting game construct

Re: Ground Zero Games Convention/Interesting game construct

From: damosan@c...
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 15:07:02 +0000
Subject: Re: Ground Zero Games Convention/Interesting game construct

> I've always wanted to run a series of games...

I always thought that this would be an interesting thing to do.  The
outcome of one game would affect the next, etc.  My buddy Jerry and I
have talked about doing such a thing in the past.

The hard part will be how scenario A affects scenario B which in turn
affects C.

--
Damo

--NextPart_Webmail_9m3u9jl4l_773_1109776022_1

Hello,
	I had a wonderful time on Saturday at the Ground Zero Games
Convention on =
Saturday in Lancaster, PA.  Games included several Full Thrust games
(inclu=
ding my Star Wars game), Dirtside II and StarGrunt (I ran another Star
Wars=
 based SG game).
	The best event by far was the Burden of Command game where there
were two =
tactical level StarGrunt Scenarios that were related to each other but
on t=
wo different tables with a Command element in another room.  The Command
el=
ement gained situational awareness based only on radio calls from the
leade=
rs of the two teams, periodic photos from drones and satellite (done by
Dig=
ital Camera) or if they got on a VTOL and flew out to the scene, thus
losin=
g inputs from higher echelons and special sources.
	The referees did a great job in both playing the bad guys and
facilitating=
 the game.  They clearly had thought out the game and play tested it.
Ever=
yone had a great job.  There was a 4:1 ratio between players and
referees. =
 I don't know how many confederates they used.
	I've always wanted to run a series of games where a Full Thrust
game cover=
ed fleet action with a follow on amphibious assault.  This would lead to
a =
DirtSide II Battalion scale assault supported by Orbital Bombardment.
In t=
urn this would lead to a StarGrunt game at the Platoon/Company level in
a c=
ity where a force is attempting to capture the terminal objective.  I
think=
 these can be done in serial.  Doing it in parallel with the Burden of
Comm=
and split scene might be fun or just a complete disaster.
	Phil Pournelle

--NextPart_Webmail_9m3u9jl4l_773_1109776022_1

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html;
charset=3Diso-8859-=
1">
<META NAME=3D"Generator" CONTENT=3D"MS Exchange Server version
6.0.6603.0">
<TITLE>Ground Zero Games Convention/Interesting game construct</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/rtf format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Hello,</FONT>

<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2
FACE=3D"Arial=
">I had a wonderful time on Saturday at the Ground Zero Games Convention
on=
 Saturday in Lancaster, PA.&nbsp; Games included several Full Thrust
games =
(including my Star Wars game), Dirtside II and StarGrunt (I ran another
Sta=
r Wars based SG game).</FONT></P>

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2
FACE=3D"Arial"=
>The best event by far was the Burden of Command game where there were
two =
tactical level StarGrunt Scenarios that were related to each other but
on t=
wo different tables with a Command element in another room.&nbsp; The
Comma=
nd element gained situational awareness based only on radio calls from
the =
leaders of the two teams, periodic photos from drones and satellite
(done b=
y Digital Camera) or if they got on a VTOL and flew out to the scene,
thus =
losing inputs from higher echelons and special sources.</FONT></P>

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2
FACE=3D"Arial"=
>The referees did a great job in both playing the bad guys and
facilitating=
 the game.&nbsp; They clearly had thought out the game and play tested
it.&=
nbsp; Everyone had a great job.&nbsp; There was a 4:1 ratio between
players=
 and referees.&nbsp; I don't know how many confederates they
used.</FONT></=

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2
FACE=3D"Arial"=
>I've always wanted to run a series of games where a Full Thrust game
cover=
ed fleet action with a follow on amphibious assault.&nbsp; This would
lead =
to a DirtSide II Battalion scale assault supported by Orbital
Bombardment.&=
nbsp; In turn this would lead to a StarGrunt game at the Platoon/Company
le=
vel in a city where a force is attempting to capture the terminal
objective=
.&nbsp; I think these can be done in serial.&nbsp; Doing it in parallel
wit=
h the Burden of Command split scene might be fun or just a complete
disaste=
r.</FONT></P>

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2
FACE=3D"Arial"=
>Phil Pournelle</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>