Prev: [VV] Meran Cluster Next: RE: [VV] Meran Cluster

Re: [VV] Meran Cluster

From: Derek Fulton <djfulton@b...>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 23:28:33 +1100
Subject: Re: [VV] Meran Cluster

G'day,

One last hurrah via Derek's email...

John Atkinson wrote:

> In the space of less than six hours, a toxin of some sort was
> released across the planet Mera which managed to kill over 99%
> of all lifeforms with a central nervous system.

I haven't done any epidemiology models in 10 years but I doubt much has
changed in the mixing models in that time, so you'll have to come up
with a very nifty explanation for the planet wide dispersal of a toxin
on that time frame. Days I'd believe hours is pushing the credible a
fair bit.

Did you also intend to wipe out absolutely everything except bacteria
and wind/water dispersed plants like grass/seagrass?  Taking out  nearly

everything with a central nervous system means not only no vertebrates
but no insects, crustaceans or any other animal invertebrate with more
than a handful of cells. The fungi would be ok as they're mainly wind
dispersed, but most plants would also die within a year or two with no
means of dispersing seed (if they got pollinated in the first place).
That leave of destruction is fairly major. Its also fairly unlikely
unless the make up of the life in the cluster is a lot more similar than

on Earth. There is no existing toxin that we know about that could come
anywhere close on Earth. I'm not a chemist so I can't think of one that
would kill more than about 10%, a chemist could probably make it 30%,
but not much more I'd reckon.

Nothing wrong with the catastrophic attack premise in principal, you may

just want to modify some of your numbers a bit.

Cheers

Beth

Prev: [VV] Meran Cluster Next: RE: [VV] Meran Cluster