Prev: Re: [OT] My personal life, was Re: [SGII] Fire of AT Missiles at disperesed tagets Next: Re: One view Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL

Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL

From: Donald Hosford <Hosford.Donald@a...>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 03:35:24 -0500
Subject: Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL

How about my particular spin on FTL drives:

Basic Hyperspace -- The drive's mass is deturmined by ship mass., and
this gets you a basic speed per strategic turn. (everyone plods
along...)
Advanced drive -- Slightly larger than basic drive.  The drive's FTL
speed is equal to the normal drive speed. (the faster the ship in normal

space, the faster it is in Hyperspace.)
Random Wormholes -- Once in a while a stable wormhole is encountered.
(Ie like Manticore from Honor Harington)

The basic drive lets even the low "startech" nations get around.  The
advanced drive lets the more advanced nations move faster, and the
wormhole means short cuts.  With advanced drive, "Mail ships"  (speeds
of 6+) could link up systems.

Donald Hosford