Prev: RE: [VV] Vectorverse FTL Next: Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL

Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:25:07 +0000
Subject: Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 12:17:29PM -0500, laserlight@quixnet.net wrote:

>If we're postulating that wormholes / Alderson points are natural --
which
>is the way I think of them -- then there can be a lot of them.  Not one
>between every pair of stars, though.  Let's say that the presence a
>jumpline is determined by both stars' mass and temperature plus some
>handwaving and divided by the distance between the two.  That would
mean a
>M dwarf would only have a jumpline  if the other star is really, really
>close; an O giant would have lots of connections.

I know I've mentioned this already, but Thomas Anderson's
Voronoi/Delaunay partitioning scheme produces some very good maps of
this sort. (And one can extend it to multiple dimensions, one of which
can be stellar mass - for example, an O will normally link to another O,
and an M to another M...)

http://firedrake.org/roger/rpg/voronoi/

Prev: RE: [VV] Vectorverse FTL Next: Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL