Prev: Re: NAC - American style [LONG] Next: Re: BSG 2003 (Long)

Re: NAC - American style [LONG]

From: "Samuel Penn" <sam@b...>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 10:28:38 -0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: NAC - American style [LONG]

Donald Hosford said:
> Laserlight wrote:
>>I *would* like to see an alternate universe/history developed and
>>generally agreed to by the List, for use by those who get enough of
>>the Earth and its nations in Real Life and don't need to be reminded
>>of it on the tabletop.

> This I would like to see also.  Sounds like you have the gem of a good
> idea.
>
> Should we start developing this?  See who jumps on-board?  Anyone?

Funnily enough, I started sketching out some ideas based on
a very old campaign of mine, with the idea to use FT ships
for the wargame side. The principle idea is as a background
for an RPG though.

I started from some core requirements, and then designed the
future history to allow for these. e.g.:
  1) Sufficiently far in the future that current events aren't
     going to affect the history.
  2) Current Earth powers are obselete, due to major upheavals.
  3) Slow travel and communication, to allow minor powers to
     form with autonomy from the core.
  4) No advanced computers, especially AI.
  5) Humanocentric (much like the GZG universe).

So, it's set in the 25th century, Sol system has been destroyed
during the Machine Wars. Advanced computers are banned due to
fear of the Machines (I have Dune's OC Bible in mind). Traveller
style Jump drives, which preserves the mystery of what is going
on in the sector next door. The human Powers are ruled by families
of Immortals, who are keeping advanced tech to themselves.

It may be an idea to plan things this way around - decide what
sort of universe and setting you want before planning the history.

The other thing to decide is the license - I'd suggest some
sort of Free license so others are free to take what is done
and extend it, but then I'm a Free Software kind of guy. One
of the other reasons I started thinking about this was that
I wanted to be able to put my NSL designs up on the web under
a Free license, which I can't do if they're based on the
official fleet designs.

--
Sam.				    http://www.glendale.org.uk

Prev: Re: NAC - American style [LONG] Next: Re: BSG 2003 (Long)