Prev: [grin] Beth's future trip to Barnard's Star Next: Re: Last minute holiday cheer...

Re: Indy's Civilian Ship Names - constructive criticism

From: Alan and Carmel Brain <aebrain@w...>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 22:07:42 +1100
Subject: Re: Indy's Civilian Ship Names - constructive criticism

John Brewer wrote:

> The names for science/survey vessels are SPOT ON.  The names for
> freighters & liners would be embarrassing if spray-painted across the
> side of a van or a monster truck.
> Names of liners should convey a sense of adventure, romance, luxury,
> comfort, and sometimes speed.  Names of modern-day luxury cruise ships
> would work very well for NAC liners.	Liners for FSE would have names
> like Normandie, Ile de France, Andalusia, Italia, and Andria Doria.
> Liners for NSL would have names like Empress of Vienna, Princess of
> Bavaria, and Edelweiss.  Commercial ships and liners for ESU would
have
> Chinese names that translate into "rising cloud" or "swift breeze".
>
> Passenger and cargo ships with very good & fast drives would have
names
> that include the words "clipper" or "express".
>
> Japanese ships would have virtually any Japanese family name suffixed
> with the word "Maru", and it would sound realistic - Kobehashi Maru,
> Tsukino Maru, Kanzaki Maru, ect...
>
> I invite your comments - and yours, Indy.

Depends on the size of the ship.

"Free Trader" with crew of a dozen - "Pretty Jane", "Moron's Delight"
are both good. I've seen both names used on coastal traders here in Oz.

100,000 Ton Luxury Liner - "Queen O'The South", "Michaelangelo" etc. ,
something with a bit more gravitas.

Bulk Freighter - "Berwick Castle", "Deneb Enterprise", "Academician
Tsiolkovsky", "Lucky Dragon" , "Fritz Lang"

FWIW OU Fleet Auxiliaries have names such as "Wombat of Doom", "Pottaroo

Nemesis", "Numbat of Vengeance" and so on. This is because the freighter

"Wallaby of Destiny" (originally a bad translation of a Chinese name)
was co-opted into OUDF service, and had a spectacular career. Since then

all OUFA ships TUFT (Taken Up From Trade) or otherwise acquired by
irregular means have carried on this bizarre naming convention. It's
tradition. Just ask "Vultures R Us" about one episode.

The NAC auxiliaries "Sir Galahad", "Sir Lancalot" etc also follow a
traditional naming convention, though one a bit more staid.

--
Alan & Carmel Brain
http://aebrain.blogspot.com

Prev: [grin] Beth's future trip to Barnard's Star Next: Re: Last minute holiday cheer...