Prev: Re: [CON] ECC VIII Next: Re: [FT] Crew quality house rules

Re: [FT] Crew quality house rules

From: Samuel Penn <sam@b...>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 12:11:36 +0000
Subject: Re: [FT] Crew quality house rules

On Saturday 18 December 2004 19:49, Laserlight wrote:
> > The main mechanic I've played around with is weapon range - on the
> > thoery that a highly skilled character can target weapons better at
> > longer ranges, increasing their effectiveness. A high skill
therefore
> > gives a reduction to effective range to targets.
>
> You might like Noam's version of Stealth, then.

I haven't seen them, but if it modifies effective range based on
stealth and sensors, then it's similar to mine :-) Mostly inspired
by the ELINT rules in B5 Wars, which I quite liked (so, yes, ships
can share sensor info to an extent, and blind other ships).

> I thought about that,
> but the issue is that there will be ranges where a good crew can hit
> and a poor crew has "zero chance" (rather than "little chance") of
> hitting back.

Well, a d6 is hardly fine grained, so any 'little chance' details are
lost anyway (moving up to d10s is a little better of course).
Unless the poor crew ship has no engines and can't move, this situation
will probably only last for a round, maybe two, before the ships close
to a range where they can both hit.

On another point - how about a C&C ship giving a bonus to crew quality?
All ships within 12" of C&C ship get one level bonus maybe. Could be
base on quality of commander and/or ELINT quality.

--
Be seeing you,				   http://www.glendale.org.uk/
Sam.					jabber: samuel.penn@jabber.org

Prev: Re: [CON] ECC VIII Next: Re: [FT] Crew quality house rules