Prev: [FT] sensors Next: Re: [FT] sensors

Re: [FT] sensors

From: "Steve Pugh" <steve@p...>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 14:05:17 -0000
Subject: Re: [FT] sensors

On 2 Dec 2004 at 8:36, laserlight@quixnet.net wrote:

> Reading through other parts of Nyrath's site, I saw discussions of how
> a drive plume can be detected from here to Antares, but I didn't
> notice anything about how far away you can detect a ship which is
> using an Handwavium drive, which (as everyone knows) has no rocket
> exhaust.

Depends how good your Handwavium detector is. ;-)

> Let's say you move by generating a small black hole in front
> of you and a negative mass equivalent (generates a push rather than a
> pull) behind you.  a) how would this be detected?

As you're generating two equal but opposite artificial gravity
sources they will from a large distance cancel each other out and be
undetectable.

At a closer distance then they will distort the local gravitational
field and will hence be detectable. The distance at which the become
detectable will depend on the distance between them (and hence on the
size of the ship) and the resolution of your gravity detector.

	Steve

--
The Ground Zero Games Meta-FAQ is available at
http://steve.pugh.net/gzg/meta-faq.txt

Steve Pugh   <steve@pugh.net>	<http://steve.pugh.net/>

Prev: [FT] sensors Next: Re: [FT] sensors