Prev: Re: [OT] Castings weight Re: Plastic 'flight stands' Next: Re: [OT] Castings weight Re: Plastic 'flight stands'

Re: [OT] Castings weight Re: Plastic 'flight stands'

From: Tony Francis <tony@b...>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 15:33:31 +0100
Subject: Re: [OT] Castings weight Re: Plastic 'flight stands'

There's a new market - 'Brigade Models' branded refrigerated storage
boxes  :-)

Seriously, keeping them out of direct sunlight would be a good move -
when I was a kid I had some Lego I left on the back seat of a car which
was deformed, so it's not just our stuff that's vulnerable. The boot
(sorry, 'trunk') would be stuffy but your models won't mind (spaceships
have aircon after all :-) ). Models will warp in sunlight because
they'll be heated unevenly - one side is superheated, the other in
shade. Keeping them in the shade would alleviate this to some degree.

You could always put them in a cool box (an Eskie for you, Alan ;-) ) or

one of these cheap in-car fridges powered from the cigarette lighter
which are in massive surplus in the shops over here (especially England
football branded ones !).

Tony

Alan and Carmel Brain wrote:

>From: "Doug Evans" <devans@nebraska.edu>
>

>>However, you haven't mentioned one problem admittedly more prevelant
here
>>in the colonies than there in near-northern Europe: hot car syndrome!
>>

>I have quite a few interestingly deformed bits of kit due to this.
>Many irreplaceable.
>
>In summer in Australia, it's not unknown for the inside of cars to
reach
>temperatures of 70C (160F) within an hour. At least, I once had a
plastic
>thermometer that I left inside the car, and that was the temperature it
read
>when it melted.
>
>Leaving dogs, toddlers etc in cars in the car park in summer, even for
10
>minutes, has led to all too many tragedies. :-(
>
>Trouble is, if you just leave your plastic stuff on the back seat, and
drive
>on a hot summer's day, it can get badly warped just by direct sunlight.
That's