Prev: Re: [OT] Castings weight Re: Plastic 'flight stands' Next: Re: [OT] Castings weight Re: Plastic 'flight stands'

Re: [OT] Castings weight Re: Plastic 'flight stands'

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@w...>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 00:15:25 +1000
Subject: Re: [OT] Castings weight Re: Plastic 'flight stands'

From: "Doug Evans" <devans@nebraska.edu>

> However, you haven't mentioned one problem admittedly more prevelant
here
> in the colonies than there in near-northern Europe: hot car syndrome!

I have quite a few interestingly deformed bits of kit due to this.
Many irreplaceable.

In summer in Australia, it's not unknown for the inside of cars to reach
temperatures of 70C (160F) within an hour. At least, I once had a
plastic
thermometer that I left inside the car, and that was the temperature it
read
when it melted.

Leaving dogs, toddlers etc in cars in the car park in summer, even for
10
minutes, has led to all too many tragedies. :-(

Trouble is, if you just leave your plastic stuff on the back seat, and
drive
on a hot summer's day, it can get badly warped just by direct sunlight.
That's
what happened to my gear. UV also causes some clear plastic to get very
brittle,
as I've found out when picking up a stand, and having it distintegrate
into many
pieces in my hand.

Prev: Re: [OT] Castings weight Re: Plastic 'flight stands' Next: Re: [OT] Castings weight Re: Plastic 'flight stands'