Prev: Re: (DS): Systems per Class Next: Re: (DS): Systems per Class

Re: (DS): Systems per Class

From: Glenn M Wilson <warbeads@j...>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 19:35:35 PDT
Subject: Re: (DS): Systems per Class

Good question, I hope my answers make sense...

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 07:37:35 -0700 (PDT) Brian B
<greywanderer987@yahoo.com> writes:
>Before I comment, what standard do you use to decide
>what items count or not?
<snip>
>> So, House Rule Time!
>>
>> Glenn Wilson's First Written House Rule for DS 2:
>>
>> For maximum number of weapons (from page 16
>'Capacity Requirements for
>> Vehicle Weapons and Systems' in the lower right part
>of the page) per
>> class the following is applicable at all times  -
>>
>> Direct Fire Weapons - count
because it's... direct fire.

>> GMS systems - count
ditto

>> PDS systems - count
vehicular defensive system

>> ADS systems - count
direct fire on missiles, Aircraft, infantry etc.

>> LAD systems - count
Directly fires "defensively" against attacking aircraft...

>> APSW (past one) - count
Direct fire versus infantry and soft skin vehicles

>> Fire Teams - DON'T Count
This is a weapon using group of soldiers but their fire when mounted
(and
allowed) is at best ineffective.  This weapon using force is really only
effective when dismounted so I don't see it as a 'vehicle' weapon
system.
 Even if you argue it is a weapon system (maybe but the things they make
go boom seem more like a weapon system to me) I would not see it as a
'vehicle' weapon system.  Hair splitting?  Maybe but I am comfortable
with it.

>> Cargo Load - DON'T Count
Doesn't shoot

>> Vehicle Transport - DON'T Count
Doesn't shoot but i don't use any designs with this function...

>> Command/Communication systems - count
Soft fuzzy answer is that it seems to be counted as one from reading the
rules but mostly because it 'feels right' - so no really good reason
beyond that.  Easier (for me) to count it as a weapon system multiplier
but that's not the choice - is or isn't.  I chose "is".

>> Artillery weapons - count
Point and go boom from vehicle and things die.

>> CBR systems - count
Like Command/Communications I don't have a good feel either way .
Easier (for me) to count it as a weapon system multiplier but that's not
the choice - is or isn't.  "Is" feels right.

I might note this has little affect on non-APC/MICV AFVs (except for NPC
where almost all vehicles have a 'Battle Rider" infantry Fire Team or
two) since I usually start with a Size 4 or 3 * main gun, a PDS (Enh or
Sup in most cases -  low tech PHR always gets Basic FCS, PDS, ECM, GCS)
then a LAD if enough capacity.

Gracias,
Glenn

* I would use 5 except for the odds on a "firer system down" seem too
high for my comfort  - one poor guy might as well blow them up at the
start of the game - he's experienced over 50% failure with HVC-5's
usually after getting Boom or 'sure to kill' damage chits accumulated
before the 'FSD' chit is exposed (over 75% of the time in one game.)
Always at the critical moment it seems.  I draw them together and expose
them sequentially, understandably he hates that now.

Gracias,
Glenn

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Prev: Re: (DS): Systems per Class Next: Re: (DS): Systems per Class