Prev: Re: SG-1 Bag of Dirty Tricks was: SG-1 in SG2 Next: SG alert!

Re: SG-1 Bag of Dirty Tricks was: SG-1 in SG2

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 23:14:47 -0400
Subject: Re: SG-1 Bag of Dirty Tricks was: SG-1 in SG2

At 8:30 PM -0400 7/17/04, Jerry Han wrote:

>They did have an episode where a team in place used a laser
>designator to allow a missile fired from the SGC Gate Room to
>home in and destroy defenses around a gate.

There you go then!

>The problem with all the ideas so far seems to be target
>acquisition, though.  Everything requires a MALP or something
>to provide terminal guidance. Tomahawks or other long range
>weapons probably wouldn't work.  (No GPS, no digital terrain
>maps, etc.)

Anything with an Electro Optical control would
work great. Before we had GPS guided bombs there
were optically guided missiles that an operator
controlled and guided to target. I'm sure some
crusty old AirForce Occifer would realize such if
needed. Of course HOBO was a strap on for 250s
and larger, there were other Optically guided
weapons that would work. In support of SG teams,
a laser guided system would work great.

I hadn't thought about the problem of GPS with
Tomohawk, but the Inertial/TerCom guidance would
work.

>All that being said, I've never understood why they've never
>put some sort of turret on a MALP, so teams offworld do have
>access to some sort of anti-aircraft firepower... (I think
>somebody already mentioned putting Stingers on a MALP, for
>example.)

Avenger is pretty big actually. It does a handy
job of making an otherwise stable offroad
platform very unstable on side slopes. For now
ManPads are the thing, though a means of firing
an Off Axis guided SAM would be great for through
gate air defense.
Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |		   |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |		   |	    /_8[*]°_\
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)

Prev: Re: SG-1 Bag of Dirty Tricks was: SG-1 in SG2 Next: SG alert!