Prev: Re: SG-1 in SG2 Next: RE: SG-1 in SG2

Re: SG-1 in SG2

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 23:12:27 -0400
Subject: Re: SG-1 in SG2

At 6:26 PM -0700 7/14/04, John Atkinson wrote:
>--- Ryan Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>>  Actually, I'd argue that the P90s fall into a middle
>>  band for
>>  effectiveness with the M-16s and that the Staff
>
>???  P90 is not an assault rifle.  It's a submachine
>gun.  It's effectiveness is exaggerated in the show
>because (as near as I can tell) they have a contract
>with FN to endorse the damn things.  But they are
>nothing like an M-16.	The round is half the weight,
>moving at something like 2/3 the muzzle velocity, with
>a tiny barrel.  It is a close-range-band-only weapon.

First off it's a PDW, Not a SMG. SMG's fire
pistol ammo. PDW's fire a hybrid of Short rifle
rounds and pistol rounds.

What's close range band in RL terms? 50 feet? the
P90's effective range is 200 meters vs 100
meters. Same way, FN5.7mm is faster than 9mm out
of a 8.85" barrel (2,346 fps vs 1,100 fps). Even
more the M16/A2 has a Muzzle Velocity of 3,100
fps. Point target effective range is 550 meters.

Shorter than an M16, longer than a 9mm sub gun.
Looks like an increment down from an assault rifle, but longer than a

Sure looks like a half way point between an MP-5
and an M16. Exactly what FN and HK have been
looking at with the PDW setup. It's the same
target of more optimum performance that spawned
the current infantry weapons like M-16s vs the
previous generation of weapons like the M14.

>>  The lack of sights on the Staff Weapons limits their
>>  effective range
>>  as far as accuracy. They make up for it in quantity
>
>And the firing stance even disallows aiming down the
>shaft of the weapon.

Yep. As I said, not a great weapon for hitting a
point target at 200 plus yards.

Great for terrorizing Pre industrial societies,
but not so hot for taking down industrialized
troops. Of course the big problem is when the
bigger stuff gets brought into the mix and the
Gould themselves start putting beams down from
orbit and making Carrier Groups go boom.

>  > >Squad Support Weapons
>>  >5.56mm M-249 AR mode  *  FP:4  I:d8  RB:Qx2 +1 DT
>>  in CQB
>>  >5.56mm M-249 LMG mode    FP:d8 I:d8  RB:Qx2 1-crew
>>  SW, +1 DT in CQB
>>
>>  Make these RB:Qx3. The longer barrel does have an
>>  effect on it's range.
>
>I'm a little shaky on this--are you suggesting that to
>get a dice, you have to bring the tripod and set it
>up?  Not my experience with a SAW.

No, the longer barrel gives the round more range
due to higher muzzle velocity. Just like a
carbine has better effective range (more muzzle
energy over a pistol). It's an area weapon, but
it's bigger and steadier so from what I've
learned, LMGs do better than the rifles of the
rounds they shoot. Unles that's not what you're
saying John.

Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |		   |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |		   |	    /_8[*]°_\
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)

Prev: Re: SG-1 in SG2 Next: RE: SG-1 in SG2