Prev: Re: TOE Next: Excalibur SSD

RE: Engineers Was Re: TOE

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 13:43:40 -0400
Subject: RE: Engineers Was Re: TOE

At 5:33 PM +0200 7/3/04, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:

>If you want an example showing that "adding an
>extra hydraulic component isn't so hard", you'll
>have to look somewhere else than the S-tank.
>While it shows you is that you *can* design
>extra hydraulics into a tank if you're really
>really determined to do so, it is also an
>excellent example of just how !#!¤&/# difficult
>it can be.

Again, I site my examples of folks on the MV list
that have hacked new larger or additional
hydraulics into their very spartan Military
Trucks. Bjorn has a knuckle boom on his Deuce.
Another chap added power steering and a hydraulic
winch to his. Another has fitted a dump hoist to
his deuce. It's easier to add hydraulics because
you can route hoses around obstructions vs having
to move things around for power take off shafts
and gear boxes. Sure, you have to fit a tank and
a cooler somewhere but an odd sized tank is
easier to shoehorn into a given space for a total
x volume vs a gearbox that has to be a certain
size and arrangement due to mechanical
restrictions. High output Hydraulic pumps are
also nice and compact.

>According to those Swedish ex-S-tank crew
>members I've talked to, the S-tank's hydraulics
>were very nice on the occasions when they
>actually worked as they were supposed to... but
>unfortunately that wasn't too often even in
>garrison, and of course field conditions made it
>a lot worse :-(

Well, granted, the whole tank was hydraulics but
there are enough dozers out there that hydraulics
make for easier bits of kit than say, autoloaders
in small spaces. Just look at the profusion of
smaller sized hydraulic cranes on service trucks
and military logistics vehicles.
Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |		   |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |		   |	    /_8[*]°_\
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)

Prev: Re: TOE Next: Excalibur SSD