Prev: RE: Engineers Was Re: TOE Next: RE: [OT] Happy Canada Day!

RE: Engineers Was Re: TOE

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 00:21:03 -0400
Subject: RE: Engineers Was Re: TOE

At 9:14 AM +1000 7/2/04, <Beth.Fulton@csiro.au> wrote:
>G'day,
>
>Ok this is Beth as Brian now ;)
>

>K.H.Ranitzsch wrote:
>
>>  That works for me, but I don't know that I'd allow it to load a
disabled
>>  vehicle onto a transport unless it had a crane, which took up
capacity...

>>Normally, you use a winch to pull a vehicle onto a >transport. Even if
the
>>vehicle is damaged, as long as it can roll.
>
>Remember, this is for a setting in which Grav and GEV vehicles are
common.
>Unless you put some sort of "landing Gear" on their undercarriage,
which
>seems impractical, then rolling them is out of the question.

For a grav ARV, i'd suggest that you have the following constraints.

Figure the Grav is created/caused by running
current through a set of coils. An ARV would
float up (not roll of course) and the team would
see what had failed. If it were the coils, a coil
swap would work (nice thing is that it'd be
simpler than a wheel station as there aren't
moving parts. There might be cooling tubes as
well, but QD fittings on key points are easy.).
If it were the power pack or generator, then
that'd be swapped. Assume a vehicle is too combat
damaged to swap coils on, hook up some external
bolt/chain on coils that are connected externally
to the ARV/Transporter that then lifts the float
(not track or car) up and supports it that way. A
good parallelogram A-frame (2 A-frames, not one)
to hitch it to the ARV and you're good to go with
towing it back to a repair point while it's
mission killed.

In fact, I modeled my Grav ARV with a crane, a
short stubby box tube thing and two long coils
strapped to the top deck ala the Leopard ARVs
with their power packs stowed on top for a
replacement of a pack in field.

>  >A crane able to lift a damaged truck or a tank is a hefty >item, and
>usually
>>mounted on a separate vehicle rather than onto the >transporter. It is
not
>>that often required on the transporter, and can be used >more flexibly
on a
>>separate chassis.
>
>I never said anything about putting them on the same chassis, I was
just
>trying to establish how big they are.

Tank Transporters usually have a winch provision
for pulling a dead vehicle onto a trailer. ARVs
usually have a large winch capable of pulling the
class of vehicle it can recover on a 1:1 pull.
They use 2:1 or 3:1 pulls for badly stuck
vehicles. In the case of the Hercules, its
something like a 60,000 lb winch. Can't recall
off the top of my head. AFV interiors has a great
article on the M88 Hercules and it's fit.

>Capacity of 8 would represent a fairly big module, that means the
garage
>module (not the vehicle carrying it, just the module) would be as big
as a
>class 1 vehicle.  The problem is, that as John A points out, there are
>varying amounts of equipment fielded at different levels.  I'm trying
>come up with something that's fair without adding TOO much more to the
game.

How big of a class is a 20' container? Is that
size 2? Modern fold out Containers are pretty
fancy with compact storage inside and
flexibility. A PLS type system with a 30'
container would be something like class 2.5 or 3.

You can fit 2 Ferret armored cars (class 1 size vehicles) into a 30'
container.

>John Atkinson wrote:
>
>>Depends--not all excavation equipment is created
>>equal.
>
>True, but in game terms, unless you want to add rules that tie the
amount of
>excavation work a vehicle can do in a turn to the size of its
equipment,
>it's easier to just come up with one standard-capacity package for
>excavation.

Depends. A Blade is easy to tack on. The Abrams
can carry a blade no problem. ITs the bigger
stuff that costs more space. Screw auger,
backhoe, front end loader, etc.

>  >SEE trucks and the like with backhoes are
>>pretty small.
>
>A backhoe is still larger than an autocannon, right?  A turreted RFAC 2
is

Depends. There are little tiny jobbies on little
1 men vehicles. The US Army fields a Short Wheel
Base Unimog with a Front loader and rear mounted
backhoe that can self deploy at higher speeds
(than a tractor) and handle most basic jobs.
Easily a class 2 truck with cargo space to spare.

>capacity 6.  Even allowing that a backhoe arm & bucket IS smaller than
the
>next weapon up, that weapon's class 3, capacity 9.  Unless you consoder
>backhoe to be a fixed weapon, in which case I could see it being 4-5
>capacity.  But that still leaves out a dozer blade, etc.

It can be fixed or turreted. I still think this
is too complex. Whats wrong with an AEV that has
an AEV package on it that takes 80% capacity. It
can dig a position per turn for it's size. Size 4
AEV can dig 4 class 4 tank scrape per turn or 8
class 2 scrapes in a turn.

A Blade allows a fixed size scrape and only does
have the work. But also allows proofing of
minefields and clearing surface obstacles.

>Actually, I would too.  Based on the rules, it seems that DFFG's make
>perfect Demo Guns within the DS 2 framework.  But the rules say that an
>engineering element that spends its combat action adjacet to a target
can
>demolish it -- the rules don't distinguish between an engineering
vehicle
>and foot engineers.  That seemed odd.

Not really. Demo guns are really short ranged
(Really effin short) and have a bloody huge HE
explosion that's not so good for armor. I'd just
make it part of the "blow a building in 1 turn"
kit.

>That point has been made, and is valid for wheeled & Tracked vehicles.
I'd
>still feel less cheesy paying points for towing gear for a Grav force
>though -- the extra capacity can be PSB'ed as a set of temporary grav
>lifters that are set under the damaged vehicle.

You can generally tow your type or one or two
other types assuming compatible technology.
Otherwise you drag it up on a trailer.

Tracks and wheels can flat or suspended tow other
tracks and wheels of similar or smaller sizes.
Its hard for a GEV to be flat or suspended towed
with out a trailer or dolly supporting the other
end. Grav could do so based on what I said above
as the higher tech level allows some fancy work
with bolt on kit.

>The problem is, that as the rules stand, I can deck that vehicle out
with
>all the weapons and systems of a regular MBT of the same class, then
make it
>capable of all the functions of an ARV AND an AEV, just by paying the
>points -- the engineering stuff takes up no capacity.	Doesn't that
strike
>you as cheesy?

Don't. Its cheesy. Don't. Look at modern examples
and how far they have or have not come with
technology. The Brits (basically the fore fathers
of the Armored Engineer Vehicle) still have a
basic set of classes:

ARV Tank chassis without turret and kit for
recovering a given class of vehicle.  Able to
recover classes of vehicles smaller than itself.
Usually has an MG or two for defense. Can seat a
handy number of crew above a normal MBT in a big
roomy compartment that usually has the winch
built into it for protection and servicing.

AEV: A tank w/ a turreted demolition gun and
attachments for mission specific bits. Be they a
fascine, dozer blade, Mine Clearing Line Charges,
Carrot, and a number of other things.

AVLB: a tank chassis with turret removed and
perhaps an MG with the ability to launch and
recover a bridge of the same class as itself.

Now a class 2 AVLB is able to launch a class 2
Bridge. A Class 4 AVLB is able to launch a class
4 bridge. The bridge is able to support what size
it is or smaller.

>As for the fact that all your examples are tracked or wheeled, that
doesn't
>work with a highly mobile grav-based force.  For excavation, you forgo
the
>dozer blade and use a backhoe.  For the mineplough, you use a "Gravitic
>pulse" array that disrupts mines.  For towing, as I said, Lifter pads
slid
>under the damaged hull.  Etc Etc. Etc.  I'm not so concerned with the
exact
>physical details of the system as with its game effects.

Same class or smaller. Standard packages cost
80-100% of size of vehicle with wiggle room for
extra bits like stowage of a power pack or spaces
for the tank crew to ride. Think sliding scale vs
fixed cost.

Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |		   |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |		   |	    /_8[*]°_\
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)

Prev: RE: Engineers Was Re: TOE Next: RE: [OT] Happy Canada Day!