Prev: Re: [FullThrust] There r nu rules being Playtested to compute CombatValue Next: Re: The GZG Digest V2 #2062

Re: The GZG Digest V2 #2062

From: Adrian Johnson <adrian@s...>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 14:14:26 -0400
Subject: Re: The GZG Digest V2 #2062

Hi Bill,

>I don't know about yours, but mine is a pretty mediocre sample.  The
more I
>work on it the more I find needs done to it to get it up to some kind
of
>standard.  I've told my wife to point to it if I ever consider buying
>another resin model, then smack me with something heavy.

Don't let yourself be put off resin by that one example.  I have a bunch
of
"mediocre" GeoHex-made resin models too;  cleaning up can be a pain in
the
arse if the model was cast poorly, though minor flaws sometimes turn up
as
"battle damage" in mine after painting is complete.

Take a look at the resin models produced by DLD Productions.  Their
website
is at:

http://www.dldproductions.com/

and more specifically, models like:

http://www.dldproductions.com/kamodohfscatpg.html
http://www.dldproductions.com/bdgrmk1sec.html
http://www.dldproductions.com/25mmbengalpg.html

These pictures don't nearly to the actual models justice - they're
*really
good*, and the production quality is great.  Occasionally there is some
kind of minor flaw, but mostly they just need cleaning and assembling.
There were some beautifully finished examples (by David at DLD and Keith
?
(Swearingen??)) on show at GZG-ECC this year.  These are examples of
excellence in resin production.

So, for that matter, are the Games Workshop Forge World resin parts
which
are *excellent*.

I can't comment on resin vehicles produced by GZG themselves - though I
have piles of GZG vehicles, all of mine were GeoHex produced and bought
here in N.America.  I do know GeoHex had a tank kit (which sounds much
like
yours, actually) which was also produced by GZG in the UK, and that
GeoHex
did slightly differently.  The GZG-version had a turret in two parts
(top
half, bottom half), while KR at GeoHex didn't like the look of the
complete
turret so sold it with the top-half only - giving it a "lower profile"
look.  I have no idea if that's the one you're referring to, but would
explain why the barrel mounting point was bigger than the turret spot it
was supposed to mount to...

>This is my first resin model.	Does anyone have any really handy tips
or
>tricks for finishing one?  I've washed the parts, and I have the hull
>together.  I'm in the process of filling the multitude of air voids,
gaps
>and such.  I'm planning on wet sanding the filler smooth (which is a
right
>pain in the arse).

when you sand, use a mask of some kind.  you probably know that already,
but the resin dust is nasty stuff.

 One thing that is bugging me is the fact that the hull
>doesn't have any sort of a turret ring, so the front of the turret is
just
>a big overhang into space.  Am I the only one this sort of thing bugs,
or
>would it look better if I built up a turret ring?  Another alternative
>just thought of would be to move the turret back and fill the current
>turret mount hole and build a proper turret ring.

Binhan suggested hacking off a bit of PVC pipe for your turret ring.
You
can find pre-made plumbing parts to do the same sort of thing if you
don't
have access to a saw/mitrebox or bandsaw and pvc pipe.

Something else you might want to consider if you feel like spending more
time customizing the model - GZG produces several sets of 'vehicle
detail
bits' including hatch covers, hatch mountings, 'electronic stuff',
pintel-mounted weapons, etc.  Ordering from GZG in the UK is *fast*.

-Adrian

Adrian Johnson
adrian@stargrunt.ca
http://www.stargrunt.ca

Prev: Re: [FullThrust] There r nu rules being Playtested to compute CombatValue Next: Re: The GZG Digest V2 #2062