Prev: Re: UNSC Ship Names Next: TOE was: Re: Mixed Tech forces

Re: rear firing arcs (was 3-row hull)

From: <bail9672@b...>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 10:24:06 -0400
Subject: Re: rear firing arcs (was 3-row hull)

> > And, that's a silly rule.  It might be good for the Tuffley verse,
> > but not mine.  It does slightly favor him, but getting to rear
arcs
> > is not that easy when the opponent uses advanced drives.
> >

> If you are going to allow unlimited fire into the aft arc, I suggest
> that you limit the number of 6-arc weapons, especially if your
> reasoning is "realism", since it is really hard to clear enough
fields
> of fire for multiple 6-arc batteries.

The "main" guns on his ships have 5 arcs, sort of a FX and RX
set up (SFB terms; FT: F,FS,FP,AP,AS; A,AP,AS,FP,FS).
The "secondaries" usually have 6 arcs at half the number of
weapons the ship he is modelling would have.  He really should
double up that number but limit each one to 3 arcs.

> I suggest limiting the total mass of the weapons that have 6-arcs:
..skipping chart...

 He's probably close to that chart, anyway.

I had a couple designs with mostly 6-arc weapons, usually
armed with lots of class-2 beams or pulsers, but then the
game becomes just a "bucket-o-dice" rolling game.  And
when I found that the munchkins loved playing any of those
particular ships I tore up the SSDs.

> > One thing that has worked against me is his tendency to make
> > 1 point turns closer to 45 degrees than 30.  I've chastised him
> > on this and he's getting better at making the correct turns.
> >

> If you have your ships based on hex stands, I have a really good
> turning tool you might like that could help you with this.

Generally it's not a problem.

If only I could get him to play with vector movement...

Prev: Re: UNSC Ship Names Next: TOE was: Re: Mixed Tech forces